icon

shorting a dvc sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2009 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
I run 2 12" 4ohm dvc subs as if they were svc 4om to give them a 2ohm load at the amp.I tried to find out how to use a potentiometer to adjust the q's of them but I cant find any how to. I spoke with a tech at parts express and he recommended that I just short each unused coil .Is this safe? Will I gain anything by doing so? He said that it should make the subs louder. thanks
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
vibrationcustum 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2009 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
is the amp 2 ohm stereo or 2 ohm mono? Don't short the coil out. In all my years of car audio I have never hear of speakers getting louder from shorting one sub out. If you can then I learn something new today.
Can't be loud then don't have it.
(power acoustik system)
Head unit- TID-896 7" TOUCHSCREEN
ovn1-5500d 09 and another one coming soon
4-12" mofos 12ft3 box to 40hz (wall)
2 batterys, 1 power
spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2009 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
it is a monoblock so its 2ohm stereo, Im not intending on shorting out the subs ,just one vc on each sub.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2009 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
vibrationcustum 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2009 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
dyon damn I read though that link and I learn about shorting out the voice coil. Cool Thanks for the info
Can't be loud then don't have it.
(power acoustik system)
Head unit- TID-896 7" TOUCHSCREEN
ovn1-5500d 09 and another one coming soon
4-12" mofos 12ft3 box to 40hz (wall)
2 batterys, 1 power
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2009 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
spmpdr wrote:
I run 2 12" 4ohm dvc subs as if they were svc 4om to give them a 2ohm load at the amp.I tried to find out how to use a potentiometer to adjust the q's of them but I cant find any how to. I spoke with a tech at parts express and he recommended that I just short each unused coil .Is this safe? Will I gain anything by doing so? He said that it should make the subs louder. thanks
WHY, WHY, WHY, do people think they have to load every amplifier to it's "maximum"?!?!?! Good GOD, people!
So, why don't you just run the individual woofer coils in series, then parallel the two woofers? You will provide the amplifier with a 4-ohm load, and lose less than 3dB in total output. Are you competing? You won't miss it, I GUARANTEE it, if you are not competing. The amp runs cooler, lower distortion and better damping... All good things! You'll also have more headroom, you'll have better "overpowering" buffer on the woofers, you'll be using all the copper in the voice coils that you paid for... Load the thing at 4 ohms and be happy.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2009 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
Do the connections proper, but just buy a better amp. Get a 2 ch. and connect each sub to each channel. Usually that is the most cost effective way.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2009 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
yimke wrote:
Do the connections proper, but just buy a better amp. Get a 2 ch. and connect each sub to each channel. Usually that is the most cost effective way.
He doesn't have to BUY anything... And the way I suggested IS proper.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2009 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst,How would I wire them like that .I wired them with option2 in the 2 speaker 4ohmdvc section of thesub woofer wiring diagrams page on this site and I believe that is how your telling me to wire them now. If that is true then here is a very noticeable difference in sound that is why I changed them to the single 4ohm set up I run them at now .If your telling me different please explain because im not looking for maximum power ,I just want to have good sound.
thatfloorguy 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
You may have to re-set the gain,since the amp is now seeing a 4 ohm load, as opposed to a 2.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic