icon

mmats smt4090 amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crowegreg 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
I've just purchased this used amp. Does anyone own this amp? I'm looking a copy of the owner's manual. I've contacted Mmats, and they don't have one.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,672
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
Is there something in particular that you need to know? 
crowegreg 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  

1. There is a toggle switch that can be set on either AP, HP, or LP. What do these settings mean?

2. On the bottom of the amp, it diagrams the connection settings. It shows if you're going to use this as a 4 channel amp, it is operating in 2 ohms. Does this mean I need to match this with 2 ohm speakers?

3. In the power connections for the amp, there is a battery (-), battery (+), and remote. What is the remote for?

4. Any recommendation for size of wire to use in this installation.

Thank you!!

thatfloorguy 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
AP is for all pass HP is for high pass and LP is for low pass filters depending on how you will use the amp. The remote is for the remote turn on lead from your head unit.  The 4 channel application will give you 90w rms per channel. It is bridgable so I am only assuming 180 rms at 4 ohms.As far as wiring if 4G will fit comfortably I would use it, if not try 8.
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  

The switch is for the internal crossover.  AP = All Pass,  this allows all frequencies to get to the speakers.   HP = High Pass, this allows all frequencies above the crossover point to reach your speakers.  LP = Low Pass, this allows all frequencies below the crossover point to reach your speakers.  If you let us know what speakers you are planning to connect to the amp, we can tell you where to set these switches.  There should be a know or another switch to determine the crossover point.  Do you see such a control?

The amp is capable of running 2 Ohms per channel minimum.  It can run 8 or 4 ohms per channel.  2 Ohms is the lowest it can safely run.  2 Ohms per channel is the same as a 4 Ohm mono load.  You can run the front 2 channels on your doors and or rear deck speakers, and use the other 2 channels to run your woofers. 

The remote wire is what tells the amp to turn on and off with your radio.   If you are connecting it to your factory radio, you should connect this terminal to a wire that is controlled with the accessory position of your key.  If you tell us what kind of vehicle you have, we can tell you which wire to use for this.   If you have an aftermarket radio, this terminal is to be connected to the Blue/White wire of your radio.  If it has no Blue/White wire, but it does have a Blue wire, connect it to that one.

Does the amp have fuses mounted to the end of it?  If so, how many and what is the current rating of the fuses? 

Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
crowegreg 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info. I was planning on using this in the 4 channel mode. I'm looking at purchasing Mmat's Pro 541 component speakers for the front doors, and some 5.25 coaxials for the rear doors. A separate channel for each door. I just purchased Kenwood's KDC-X993 as the head unit, and I'm using Kenwood's KSC-SW10 as the powered subwoofer. Any recommendations. Since I'm using this amp in the 4 channel mode, do I have to use 2 ohm speakers?
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
The amp is capable of running 2 Ohms per channel minimum.  It can run 8 or 4 ohms per channel. 

You will want to run the crossovers in the HP mode.  If the crossover points are infinitely adjustable, around 80Hz should be a good starting point for both.   If your radio has adjustable crossovers built in, you may want to use those and set the amp's crossovers set to AP

Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
thatfloorguy 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
Most def check the fuses as a 4G wiring kit may not be compatable. I don't want to be responsible for frying someones equip so I shall just listen and learn.
crowegreg 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info. I'll be using Mmats Pro 541 component set on the front doors. Here's there link, http://www.mmatsproaudio.com/separates.html. I'll be using some coaxials on the rear doors, I don't know which ones yet. There are 2 20 amp fuses in the amp.
crowegreg 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the great info. I'll be installing in the next few weeks. I'll update my posting when I'm finished.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic