icon

components on two 2 channel amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djrankin004 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2009 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
I have a set of infinity kappa components in the front of my 2001 jetta. I would like to run two Eclipse EA2000 -2channel amps to these components. Because i am running these amps to just the front speakers how would i split up the woofers and tweeters to the channels on the amp, and also how would i plug in the RCA's if i want to keep my balancing on the head unit. Also any opinion on the set up is appreciated
djrankin004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2009 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
sorry instead of set i meant PAIR. I only want to run these to my front set of infinity kappas.
richl68 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2009 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  

Are the crossovers byampible??  i havent messed with infinity stuff in a long time....

djrankin004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2009 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
to be honest i really dont know where to find that info
richl68 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2009 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  

on the crossover itself it would look like

tweeter in  woofer in   tweeter out   woofer out 

+    -             +       -           +       -           +        -

Im just trying to understand why you are trying to running 2 2 channels

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2009 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
richl68 wrote:

Im just trying to understand why you are trying to running 2 2 channels

Yes, me too...

Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 06, 2009 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
Somebody told him that a bi-amp system is better. In his case it would be tri-amp. If your components can handle the power, you would really be better off if you bridge each amp on one set. There is no substitute for power. If they are rated at or around the spec of that amp into a 4 Ohm load, you at least need to try them that way.
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2009 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
Ah, the old somebody told me so routine.  If it was me and I wanted to use two Eclipse EA2000 amplifiers, I'd bridge each one into one side of the component set and use the passive crossover as it's intended.  And then I wouldn't use Infinity components with those amps because they are only 2-ohm speakers and the amp requires a 4-ohm load when bridged.
Support the12volt.com
djrankin004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2009 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
Actually i saw a good price on the amps and was going to try them out if there was a decent way to hook them up. Sounds like a no go from the responses thus far.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2009 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
<bear poking> Don't listen to these guys! They have no idea what they're saying! components on two 2 channel amps -- posted image. </bear poking>
TOTALLY kidding!
The bi-amp can be quite nice, I myself am a HUGE fan of it. If your passive crossovers have the capabilities, (indicated usually by two sets of inputs and two sets of outputs, with either an internal or external jumper) then by all means, give it a shot. I cannot say that you will gain very much in this case.
Benefits
1: Headroom
2: Output matching
3: Separation
Detriments
1: Expense
2: Potential overpowering with destructive consequences
Those are the big ones...
The tweeters can be much more finely tuned, with the full range of sensitivity of the amp's gain control, rather than a 0dB and a -3dB setting. If you like it really bright, you can even go to the other side... Actually INCREASING the output, relative to the mid/woofer's output.
Since you have the two amps, try the bridged mode, first... Those suggestions are much more suited to 99+% of all car stereo installations. If you're REALLY hell bent on bi-amping, purchase a good quality (i.e. NOT a $60 to $100.00 POS from BestBuy) electronic crossover, and bi-amp correctly.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic