icon

98 civic coupe alarm issues/viper

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
supracrx 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2009 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
just bought this car couple weeks ago for my sister. I believe the alarm is a Viper350HV....its the basic one they sell at best buy. IT does have relays for the door locks and stuff.
Everything on the alarm works fine EXCEPT the siren. Orginally when I got the car, the siren didn't work at all. There was no ground So I grounded the siren and it works but it was very soft...So i thought it was a bad siren. I changed it out to a DEI 514 soft chirp one but still the same thing. I check to see how much power is at the power wire to the siren from the brain and its at 1v...pretty sure its suppose to be more. My guess is something wired wrong? or power to the brain? I have to drop the lower console and take a look at the wiring under there. Last time I checked the wiring was a mess for the alarm so I guess i'm going to rewire it while I try to fix the siren.
anybody have suggestions?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2009 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
Does the alarm feed a brown wire to the Siren's red and the siren grounded through it's black. If so voltage should be 12v+ on the brown when siren is triggered.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2009 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  

how soft are you talking, is it so soft you have to put your ear close up to listen or is it just barely audible from a short distance, how loud is the full trigger, is it louder than the confirmation chirps, on this siren the confirmation chirps are six decibels softer than the full trigger siren, if you desire louder chirps, cut the black loop of the siren in half, if it's still too soft, my guess would be a corroding wire to the siren's positive, i've seen like, One in a couple hundred of these units with a defective siren output.

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2009 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
Good point t&t  are we talking soft chirps here, is the black lead cut at the siren?  But we should still get 12v+ fom the alarm's brown on siren trigger. That's the second thing I would test, after extending the siren leads to the battery, red to pos and flash across the battery just to make sure Siren is OK.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic