icon

chevy cobalt neutral safety

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 6:07 AM / IP Logged  

If you actully think about how you drive your car, the 689m is only adding ONE step:

5) Engage remote start. The parking lights will flash or illuminate depending on the model of remote start

Everything else would occur everytime you drive the car anyway.

Honestly, to me, this one step does sounds like a hassle, but for the safetly it adds it is worth it.

The toggle switch idea is guarenteed to get something damaged or someone hurt or killed.

Kevin Pierson
audiobreeze 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 6:31 AM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

If you actully think about how you drive your car, the 689m is only adding ONE step:

5) Engage remote start. The parking lights will flash or illuminate depending on the model of remote start

Everything else would occur everytime you drive the car anyway.

Honestly, to me, this one step does sounds like a hassle, but for the safetly it adds it is worth it.

The toggle switch idea is guarenteed to get something damaged or someone hurt or killed.

really? Ok. The way I read it sounded like I would have to turn off the car and go through this entire sequence prior to getting out. That's not too bad at all then. The fact that the car will run for a minute or so, like a turbo timer, after I exit is a bit bothersome, but I would just be getting greedy at that point. I agree with you that any other method is try is going to be risky. Maybe I'll give this module a try.
Thanks for the feedback guys.
audiobreeze 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, I've got another question that I'll ask in here so I don't have to start a new thread.
With the remote start operation, will it engage the start sequence 3 times total, even with a successful start on the first try? The reason I ask is because I hear it go through the sequence of clicking even though the car is already on. I am able to hear this when sitting in the drivers seat. Is this a sign that I have a bad tachometer wire that is not telling the system that the vehicle is running? I have the jumper for the viper alarm set to the 2nd setting for the tachometer. The one that allows is to read a lower voltage wire showing voltage when the car is running. I can't recall the name at this time.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 11, 2009 at 5:13 AM / IP Logged  

No, if the car is started the first time it won't go through and try to start the car again.

Does the car actually remote start and run right now?

Kevin Pierson
audiobreeze 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2009 at 5:52 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, the car remote starts first time, every time. I believe it is attempting to start, while already running, two more times.
audiobreeze 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2009 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
Update: I just remote started the vehicle from a distance and monitored it's behavior as I approached. The car shuts off within about 15-20 seconds after remote start. I'm still leaning toward my issue being a bad tachometer reading to the alarm system. I tied the wire into one of my fuel injector harness wires that showed about .150 volts when the car is running and 0 when it's shut off. This is what the spec sheet for cobalt installation said to use. Any ideas here?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2009 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
What you've described is symptomatic of tach programming not being learned, the injector port is where I would go, provided the colur wire you used is a "non-common" wire with respect to the others, i.e. one wire (12v+ at ignition) will be common colour at all the injectors, don't use this. Try reprogramming for tach.
audiobreeze 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2009 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
What you've described is symptomatic of tach programming not being learned, the injector port is where I would go, provided the colur wire you used is a "non-common" wire with respect to the others, i.e. one wire (12v+ at ignition) will be common colour at all the injectors, don't use this. Try reprogramming for tach.
LOL. You just beat me to the punch. I just sat down and said to myself, "You know what, I remember seeing in the manual that the system needs to learn the tach signal." Sure as doodie, I programmed the tach signal and instant success with the remote start not cutting off. I log into the forum next and see this post. lol
Thanks for the assistance.
On a side note, I wired up a pretty nifty switch in my center console area that bypasses the clutch. I removed the jumper off the clutch switch harness, that I was using to bypass the clutch temporarily, and tapped into both wires that run to this momentary clutch switch. I then ran these wires to a lighted toggle switch located in a discrete, factory looking location. Now, all I have to do is toggle the switch in the up position, place the car in neutral, and go on with the rest of my day. This will leave the car in a remote start ready stage. I used a lighted switch so I don't accidentally leave it in the on position. I figure I will see the light and cut it off; only turning it on when I plan on remote starting. Have a look at some of the pics and vid below. Feel free to comment.
chevy cobalt neutral safety - Page 2 -- posted image.
audiobreeze 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2009 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
Well, I guess that last video I uploaded is having some issues. Let's use a more reliable source for upload:
http://www..com/watch?v=-2RRvHX1lGY
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2009 at 5:35 AM / IP Logged  
Well at least I know what the Cobalt is now, I recognise those heater/AC controls, we call it a Vauxhall Astra!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic