icon

differences between us and europe

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2009 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
Did my first Lexus RX300 this morning, simple alarm,Concept 470,  UK spec vehicle. No info on them here, used Direchtechs for info and downloaded tech sheet 1070. Guess what, dead simple, had to go to rear of driver's door, brown w. silver dots lock;  grey w. silver dots, unlock; no relay,  no diodes required,  nice grommet above accel pedal for cable entry,  pull the centre section, pull cigarette lighter panel to reveal 2 x 10mm bolts, remove h/unit, reveals 2 more 10mm bolts removes heater, LED on top, purple at heater/ haz plug to bring on flashers, ground it. Mount alarm CPU under and behind radio, aerial up behind heater vents, even getting through the door tube was the easiest and fastest I've ever done,  ground lock through an aux wire or extend  pulse to 12 secs closes windows and roof. Oh give me Toyotas all day long, no nasties, no CAN no hidden surprises.
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2009 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
If you thought that was easy. Get this man a civic.differences between us and europe -- posted image.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2009 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
I honestly find most post 2000 Civics dead easy, I hate anything VAG/Audi and Mercedes from about 00 onwards for access and CAN systems. If you want nasty as in I'm suffering (painfully) from Sciatica at the moment try the late 90s UK built Civic 5 door where you had a 5 wire (relay) interrupt locking system and the wiring was buried at the far end of the DKP. I've done recently Toyota Auris (Euro name for the Corolla), and the latest two shapes of the Yaris, all remarkably easy. Mind you I'll take your point about getting at the latest Civics, radio removal for UK build: remove whole centre console, remove underdash side pieces, remove centre dash top cover, all to get at 3 screws on top and 2 bolts underneath. Those two bolts are behind a storage pocket but that's screwed into the console from behind. I wish they'd take a look at the head units in the latest Toyota, BM and M/Benz, all out in seconds!
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2009 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

The US talks funny, and they like lots of bullet proofing.

Most "world" cars are made two ways......really complicated so ownly dealers will work on them, or very simple so Joe's service station in Bandledesh can fix them, just depends on the definition of world car.

Toyota put all their high tech electronics in their F1 car, luckily there was no left for the street.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2009 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  
Which comes back to another point, over relying on electronic systems which do nothing fo the vehicle reliability but keep failing, just look at the window lifts on a mid 90s BMW, any French or Italian car.  One reason Lexus and Legend built their enviable reputations; ever seen comfort close on an early Lexus?  If you want reliability, spend more on better sensors, build in redundancy as in multiple processors, and unify and make the CAN systems work properly. To change the head unit in a current Citroen/Peugeot you have to disregard the radio plug's accessory feed and re-route from ignition switch or fusebox, because the factory head is linked to the management, a new unit will not send back data and a day later you will lose your remote locking or worse!
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 13, 2009 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
And you guys thought I drove an 06 civic just for the MPG. (wich, as it turned out wasn't THAT great)
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2009 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
is there a phone number for iDatalink? their website is down.
i called 866-427-2999 but no go.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2009 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  

considering your experience with european vehicles howard, i thought mostly any vehicle would be easy for ya, lol, anyways, japanese vehicles are really as easy as you can get, the fuctionality of there cars are excellent and reliable once well maintained, and best of all mostly anyone with a little experience can find their way around these vehicles, who needs euros, they are also great vehices, but in my view, too complicated too dabble with, you always have to wonder which dash light you might unknowingly trigger, differences between us and europe -- posted image. .

Also on a side note, not to hijack your thread howard, but would it be safe to remove the battery from the vehicle and dissconnect an airbag jack and snap it back before re installing the battery, or is removing these jacks a No No?

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2009 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged  

Nice post t&t, the answer to your comment is not at 62 years old with at the moment Sciatica, then go to work on a Smart car or a Mini, ever tried to get at the h/unit on a new Mini?  The answer to the question is yes, but, disconnect battery 20 mins before, wait 20 mins to reconnect (both terminals please) after rejoining your plugs. The reason is to allow static build up to dissipate. You will probably get the odd warning light come on but a 3 mile drive should clear it.

That email I sent you was a joke and yes there was also a wiring connector that you can't see in the photo.

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
ok howard, thanks for the tip, hope you feel better, maybe when you do, you could come across to the windies, where the japanese cars rule the market, you'd love it here, it'd be paradise on earth for you,  so to speak, i'd be sure to stock some whisky for ya, we could have a couple drinks, lol.  
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic