icon

04 bmw x3 audio wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 14, 2009 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
That is why you have no level.  That factory amp is designed to work with speaker level outputs.   Does that radio have speaker level outputs?  If so, connect one channel to the speaker wires of the radio and see if you have any unwanted noises.  Pops when you change stations, engine noise, etc.  Also notice if that one speaker is now playing at an acceptable level.  If there is any noises, do not panic, they are easy to get rid of.  If the level is much louder than stock, there is a fix for that too.
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
ucmj313 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2009 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
right on ill give that a try this weekend. I was worried that running things like that would...um double amp the signal resulting in alot of distortion and or damage the factory speakers and amp, but if you think it won't ill give it a try and report back.
thanks again to everyone that has offered advice on this topic. it has been a major help.
ucmj313 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
so i rewired the harness as sugested using speaker outs instead of RCA pre outs. the result is about what i expected, more than enough volume. far more distortion. in the alpine 35 is max volume. with this current set up anything over 17 is highly distorted. lower volume sounds good though. I will leave this set up over the weekend at least, am still looking for a happy medium
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  

Cut the negative speaker wires, insulate the wires that come from the radio.  Ground all 4 of the wires of the harness.  This may be the Medium you are speaking of. 

Do not ground the speaker wires that come from the radio, only the negative wires of the harness.

Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
ucmj313 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  
im not sure i follow that, your saying cut speaker negatives from the the vehicle harness running to the amp, or combinine the speaker negatives from the radio and ground them so they do not send signal to the factory amp. btw the ground wires on the vehicle harness are all the same color so i am assuming at some point in the harness they do combine to one wire
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 4:53 AM / IP Logged  
The negative speaker wires from the radio, the ones you just connected to the harness that you purchased.  Cut them where you connected them.  INSULATE the 4 wires that go to the radio.  Now you have 4 wires that go to the factory amp via the harness you purchased.  strip the ends of these 4 wires.  connect them together and ground them.   Make sure you do not ground the wires that go to the radio.  Ground the wires of the harness.  The ones that go to the factory amplifier.
ucmj313 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
ok tonight(explaining so you can stop me if im wrong) i will be cutting the negative speaker wires from the radio to the harness where i had just connected them. the negative's from the radio will be trimmed, insulated and not connected to anything. the negative wires from the harness will be combined and grounded behind the dash and this should give me the happy medium volume and limit distortion. do i have that right?
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  

Yes that is the plan. 

On the speaker wires of the radio, there is signal on both the positive and negative wires.  With both of the signals, it is overdriving the amplifier.  If you ground the negative input wires, this will eliminate half of the power going into the amplifier.    It depends on what is distorting, if the inputs of the amp are being overdriven, this will fix the distortion problem.  If the distortion is being introduced to the amp by the radio, it will not help your distortion problem.  I am banking on the inputs of the amp are being overdriven.     If there is a pop when you change the radio stations after you do this, do not panic.  less than 8 dollars at radio shack and we are done.

ucmj313 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2009 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
so i rewired...much happier with the sound. I do have some low volume static...It is present whenever the radio is on. The volume of the static does not increase with radio volume so at listening volume so its simply a mild irritant. the harness negatives i have running to an external ground. do you think it would be better to run them to the ground of the harness? or is it more likely the radio grounds dont arent insulated enough... currently they are just taped off.
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 18, 2009 at 3:14 AM / IP Logged  

It is very critical to have the negative wires of the harness grounded properly.  Any lack of integrity of this ground will produce an audible noise just as you are describing.  With the radio on but volume really low, touch move and tap all of the connections made to the harness' negative wires.  If any of these actions change the static noise, that connection needs to be dealt with.  If those actions do not change the static, you may have to try the 8 dollar Radio Shack repair.  I can not give you a percentage of chance that this will help you but I think it is worth a try.  Purchase 1 or 4 of either of the following.  Larger value is preffered.  All should be the same, they may have only 2 of each in stock.  You may have to hit a couple stores.  http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatid=&kw=non%20polarized%20capacitor&origkw=non%20polarized%20capacitor&sr=1  

Take some speaker wire and strip enough insulation off of the wire to use the insulation to slide over the legs of the capacitors.  Cut the radio's positive wire from it's connection point at the harness.  connect the cap in series with that speaker wire.  There is no positive or negative end on the capacitor, you can not connect it backwards.  Try this on one speaker, you will have to put your ear in the speaker to see if it gets rid of the noise.  If it works proceed to the rest of the wires.  That is why I said 1 or 4.  1 because I am not sure it is going to fix this problem.  4 if it is a hassle to get to the radio shack and will cost more in fuel to go back.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic