icon

wiring for 64 impala

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ijc62 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
Want to upgrade my 64 Impala with new audio (headunit,Amp,subs,6x9. It has the the original ac delco radio with one front speaker in the dash. I am keeping the original radio in place and will install my new head unit(Pioneer)in the glove box. I feel comfortable the wiring for the new components that need to be installed. What I don't understand is how to make the connection from the stock radio wiring that's there now to the new head unit I need to install. I looked under the dash and it seems to me there are two connections into the present radio. One small BLACK/ White maybe 16 gauge (looks like it comes from the ignition) and another Black and green and a larger black wire (I think its the antenna). Can anyone tell me where these wires need to be attached to on my new headunit.
ajstetler 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
First off, don't start this project without a digital multi-meter. You will need it to test wiring to install your new one. Cars this old only had accessory and ground. It wasn't necessary to have a memory (constant) since the receivers had no clock or tuner presets. This is where a DMM is useful. You will need to test the wiring that you think is the power for the radio. This is the best way to go if you are not certain what the wires you listed above do. Find a suitable constant source in the vehicle that will be fused to power your new stereo. You may need to extend the wires from behind the stock stereo to reach the glove box. That is a start. Have fun!
Big Al
ijc62 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2009 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
Tks for the reply. A little more poking around reveled that there are two connections on the back of the stock radio. One is the power (small BLACK/ White wire) and the (GREEN/ Black) wire to the speaker on the dash. Both have adaptors or clip the push onto the back of the radio. So....back to square one....where do I attached to the new head unit?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2009 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
The old radio is not going to have all the necessary wiring for the new head unit. You are going to be far better off running the new lines direct to the main vehicle ignition harness or the fuse panel.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2009 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
run all new wiring to the new unit. forget the old wiring altogether.
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2009 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:
The old radio is not going to have all the necessary wiring for the new head unit. You are going to be far better off running the new lines direct to the main vehicle ignition harness or the fuse panel.
Please fuse your wires from the IGN
Look for a Brown for Acc and Red for power
Test with a DVM or since the car is older you could us a GOOD test light
Its not like he could fry a BCM. lol
Run all new speaker wire
ijc62 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2009 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
It looks like this has gone beyone DIY to more of a professional job.  If anyone could suggest another site I could visit to do this job.....well that would be great. I don't want to get over my head with this......but I did get this old car to have fun and spend time doing....well this kinda stuff. So...new wire's it is. Now I need to find out what that really is all about. Tks for your input.
ijc62 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2009 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  

O.k....How about this... run a direct wire for constant power (fused) from car battery to yellow wire on head unit?

Then for Acc..tap into the IGN or fuse box....there's no room in the fuse holder. I guess I can add a tap into the fuse holder...I'll have to check it out. Can anyone tell me how to get power fron the IGN....do you mean to splice into the power coming from the IGN wire (BROWN / red wire) or add a wire into the harness some place? Or can I tap into any acc wire that would only work when the key is in acc position?

Tks

brad64impala 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2009 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
ijc,
I tapped into the ign wire that plugged into the original radio when I was doing this. It works, but I would suggest putting a fuse between that wire and your radio.
I am going to add my constant power wire today, I will let you know how it goes.
ijc62 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2009 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have an older Impala? If so...is that maybe a 16-18 gauge Black and white wire attached to a connector plug to the back of the stock radio?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic