the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

my love has returned, eclipse sw9102

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
I got my hands on a BRAND-NEW Eclipse SW9102. Even better? It was GIVEN to me! One of the best sounding woofers I've ever had (not necessarily HEARD - but HAD) in ANY system!
What to do with it? Should I go back to a new TL design, should I put it in the TINY sealed box that it so loves, or should I make a big, fat, slot load? Even toyed with the idea of an IB load for my HT! Put that bad boy right into the floor! OOH!!! Just rememberd that I have a HUGE 18" passive radiator, weighted for 5.2Hz! I believe it was an Adire designed PR, it's goal in life was to be matched to a Shiva, IAANM...
Suggestions?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2009 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
I got my hands on a BRAND-NEW Eclipse SW9102. Even better? It was GIVEN to me! One of the best sounding woofers I've ever had (not necessarily HEARD - but HAD) in ANY system!
Lucky!my love has returned, eclipse sw9102 -- posted image.
haemphyst wrote:
Suggestions?
I got a better idea.....bandpass. You just need to make sure to get a big plexi windown in front or it won't sound as good.my love has returned, eclipse sw9102 -- posted image.
imupabove 
Copper - Posts: 369
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2009 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
HOLY COW! they dont even sell those no more right? i checked online, and nada. man how much that thing weighs?!?!?!
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2009 at 2:29 AM / IP Logged  
whiterob wrote:
haemphyst wrote:
Suggestions?
I got a better idea.....bandpass. You just need to make sure to get a big plexi windown in front or it won't sound as good.my love has returned, eclipse sw9102 -- posted image.
...and I was just beginning to like you! :)
imupabove wrote:
HOLY COW! they dont even sell those no more right? i checked online, and nada. man how much that thing weighs?!?!?!
Nope... That woofer has been priced in unobtanium for about two, maybe three years, now. I think it weighs in at around 45 pounds, pretty easy!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2009 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
Matched with the PR you should be able to get down there quite nicely - if you want to use two PRs to reduce vibrations take a look at Kevin's site diycable.com as his new line of PRs are also based on the Shiva/Tempest/Maelstrom designs.  Kevin also just re-released the 18" Maelstrom if you want something for the house that will blow away your little Eclipse... and a 21" version is on the horizon...
Support the12volt.com
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2009 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
What is a passive radiator? what does it do for sound?
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
haemphyst 
Posted: July 17, 2009 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
I think I'm'a power that bad boy up this weekend to get the T/S parameters off it... The PR is currently in a box with an Aurasound 10" (the pretty purple one with the neo ring magnet - ALSO priced in unobtanium...) and it's AWFULLY nice! I think my F3 on that particular system is around 18Hz or so. It'll shake the rafters! I wish I had the full 1kW it's rated for to drive it! However, at well over 3 cubes, it's bigger than I want to have in my trunk, though.
Geez... So many options... :) TL sounds like a good option again! IIRC the Fs on that driver was around 27 or 28Hz... And with the QMS as stiff as it is, those woofers lend themselves to even UNSTUFFED transmission lines, quite nicely...
spmpdr, passive radiator, or try this link, as well: Elliott Sound. You may have to dig through that to find info, but there's a LOT to be had there...
jfinks 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2009 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
Jesus D am I reading this right... 18" Pasive Radiator? I know I'm an idiot and been outta the loop dealing with a heavy family load but geezzzz
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2009 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  

jfinks wrote:
Jesus D am I reading this right... 18" Pasive Radiator? I know I'm an idiot and been outta the loop dealing with a heavy family load but geezzzz

Yep.  http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=24_93_150&products_id=686

Support the12volt.com
jfinks 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2009 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
OK...uhm what is this thing like when you are driving? What about road vibration while the car moves? Have I missed something HERE?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic