icon

replacement sub recomendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jdubicki 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2009 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  

I want to replace the subs in my car and I would like some recomendations as to what would suit my needs. I can't get much help from the internet because it seems that no sub is bad unless it's a no-name brand, and even then someone out there says it's good. I'm tired of reading reviews that say "This sub bumps, or is thump, or is slammin' loud or what ever.

This is what I currently have: 2 MTX Thunder 4000 10" subs running in a two ohm load with an Alpine MRP-M500. Subs are rated at 200 Watts RMS / 400 watts peak. They are loaded in a box with .75 cubic ft. chamber for each sub.

My ultimate goal is to get the best sub for the money. Money is an object, but I don't want to go the cheapo route nor do I want to go most expensive sub in existence. I just want some opinions on what everone has out there and what you think sounds good.

My car is a 5005 Honda Accord. It would be nice if some suggestions were a replacement that would allow me to use my current box. I have been told by a friend to just buy a good $400 12". I don't know if that's the best solution. Thanks for any help.

2005 Honda Accord DX
jdubicki 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2009 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
I forgot to mention that I like to listen to rock, punk, and metal. The sub enclosure I have now is sealed. Would a ported box give me "more bang for my buck" so to speak.
2005 Honda Accord DX
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2009 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
re audio sr 10's,I have 12's and they are the best subs ive owned.they are clean and crisp sounding but can pound if you need them two and they fit your .75cuft perfect!!!!
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
drew454u 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2009 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
whats your budget?? that will help so we know what you are workin with.
jdubicki 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2009 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
My budget is $200 for two 10's or one 12 or whatever. I am interested in the MTX TR45 or the JL 10W0v2. Those are about $200 for 2 tens (not including tax). I can get the MTX's for $149 for 2 tens. Another option whitch I know I would be very happy with would be 2 MTX TR55's. I can get those for $249 a pair for tens, thing is I'm really don't want to spend that much. The wife has already acosted me for the new amp to replace the 5 channel that croaked. I am prepared to rebuild the enclosure (probably do a vented to get more output). I look on the internet at all these subs from manufactureres that I've heard of such as Scoche, Pioneer, and MA Audio at like 30 bucks sub, but I have no idea if they are any good. Also, It seems like these days no matter where I go, whether it's a big box store (Best Buy) or stereo shop. their displays never work right or they don't have the sub I'm interested in hooked up so I can't here anything. Not of of can afford the Digital Designs 2000 watt sub or whatever that goes 800 bucks.
2005 Honda Accord DX
methos123 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2009 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  
Check these out, (the Kickers, 07CVR122.) https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~115127~PN~1. I got these for $75 each, and built the boxes the other day and the are absolutely fantastic. Get two of these for $150 and build two boxes (vented designs.) If you have the money, I would get a couple FI BL 10's or 12's and build vented boxes for them. That's a lot more money though.
jdubicki 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2009 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone know anything about the MB Quart Discus series subwoofers?
2005 Honda Accord DX

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic