icon

disabling cc

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tim m 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2009 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 2.7L. What would be the best way to disable the cruise from working?

Thanks Tim. 

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 19, 2009 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
Have you tried not turning it on?   Is the switch mounted on the dash or on a lever on the steering column?
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
tim m 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2009 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  

Um...It's engaging on its own. It's factory installed in the steering wheel. I have a new driver using the car along with my wife and they have both told me that the CC has engaged without any input from them. Since I don't use the car very much and my wife dosen't use CC I'd like to just disable it. Thanks for your quick reply.

Tim  

i am an idiot 
Posted: July 19, 2009 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  

Have someone inside the vehicle pushing the accelerator pedal to the floor and releasing while you look for the moving parts under the hood.  Where you see the movement on top of the engine, look for another cable, linkage arm or a ball chain attached to the same area.   If you find such a connection, follow it to either a servo motor or a large spherical vacuum ball.  Chances are you will have a motor of some sort, being it is a newer vehicle.  If you find the motor, there should be a plug that you can unplug.  If you can not find it, and you can take a picture of the top of the engine and post it here.

Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2009 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  

Are we sure they are not engaging it while they drive...By hitting w/ there hand...? Just a thought...Here is a review i read about those cars...

One thing I have noticed is that the transmission is kind of jerky. Barely tapping the gas pedal causes the car to leap forward. It took a while to get used to this. It seems to jump two gears when "Resume" is pushed for the cruise control causing the rpms to sometimes redline to regain cruising speed. I found it best to accelerate yourself to cruising speed & then hit resume. It is much easier on gas mileage. This car is also serviced regularly.

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2009 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  

There is a cable/hose that comes through the firewall on the right side of the engine. It loops in front of and on top of the engine to the back. The tube then turns into a steel cable that moves when the engine is rev'd. Looking in the area that the moving parts are, I notice the unit that has the gold cap in the top of the picture. I assume this is the cruise control? This unit connects to another moving piece, but on the other side of where the steel cable connects. It doesn't look like I can manually move the actuator as there is a bracket in the way that only moves when you press the gas pedal and I would assume the actuator would move with this bracket and keep it held up if the cruise is engaged. This gold cap'd unit has what appears to be power and/or controls plugging into the top of it and a tube connecting to the back of it. The tube runs behind the engine to the black box and cylinder on the left side of the picture...

disabling cc -- posted image.

From another post...Should help w/ location...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 19, 2009 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  

Nice work Tommy,  I too suspect the gold capped device would be the cruise control.  It appers that there is a red plug on the device.  Verify that this device is connected to the mechaniam that moves along with the depressing of the accelerator pedal.  If it is, try disconnecting the red plug from the device.

disabling cc -- posted image.

tim m 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  

Wow, thanks for the helpful replys. I had questioned my daughter ( new driver) about the possability of her engaging it by mistake and she didn't think so. My wife pointed out that she has been using this car for 8 years and has never had this happen to her until recently.  Anyway I drove It to work and back last night and it happened twice. This morning I found the cruise control using your advice and disconnected the red plug from the bottom. This solved the problem! I do really appriciate your help with this.

Thanks Again

Tim M.

Westerville Ohio

tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2009 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
Always glad to hear a success story...Your Welcome...Will bring it up again...Lets vote to change I am an Idiot's name...The forum should get to Vote...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 20, 2009 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
Can I change it to Captain Morgan?    the moron?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic