icon

mystery amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 21, 2009 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
The link you posted is to a 1 channel amplifier.  It has 2 positive and 2 negative speaker wires, but it is only a 1 channel amp.  The terminals are connected together inside the amp.   They say that the amp is capable of operating at 1 Ohm.  The lower the Ohm load, the harder the amp works.  That amp is not cheap to repair.  When they break, they break big.   Running it at 2 Ohms will make it last longer.  DO NOT MOUNT IT TO A SUB ENCLOSURE. 
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2009 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
Did i miss the subs specs...? Yes,i agree w/ I am an Idiot...! I think you will be more then happy w/ the 2ohm load...! 1 year warranty, just have to pay shipping(and back if it needs repair)...As long as you dont mind the internet service...Go ahead...Im sure you will be fine...And i have no clue on normal pricing on that stuff...But call some local dealers and see if they can come close/match that price...I always say when someone asks if i can match an internet price...Can they match our service...!?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
harobikes333 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2009 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
The link you posted is to a 1 channel amplifier.  It has 2 positive and 2 negative speaker wires, but it is only a 1 channel amp.  The terminals are connected together inside the amp.   They say that the amp is capable of operating at 1 Ohm.  The lower the Ohm load, the harder the amp works.  That amp is not cheap to repair.  When they break, they break big.   Running it at 2 Ohms will make it last longer.  DO NOT MOUNT IT TO A SUB ENCLOSURE. 
Just curious, why you suggest not mounting it to the sub enclosure. I bought the subs from a buddy, he's the one that mounted the amp to the enclosure, not me.
Could you explain / try to help me understand why it has two possitive and two negative ? Also... are you talking about the Hifonics or the amp i have right now?
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2009 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
It is WIRED inside amp...They are just nice and give you 2 outputs instead of the common 1 set of outputs(mono amp)...He is talking about the Hifonics Amp is expensive to fix out of warranty...That is why he suggested to run it @ 2ohm... Oh and the reason not to mount it to the box is for vibration...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
harobikes333 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2009 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
Oh and i am an idiot, I didn't even look to see that there was two sets of + and minus inputs.   So it's just so you can wire stuff up easier...?   / what is the advantage? / what would I use the second set for? just wondering.   
Instead of running it at 2ohm and only putting 450RMS to each sub should I get a different amp that puts out 1200RMS at 2ohms?
Someone else suggested that I get two amps and run each sub separately.
Would a 2 channel amp even be something to look at in this instance?
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2009 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
Are you trying to be as loud as possible...? Im thinking you will be more then happy w/ the Brutus @2ohm... Unless we are getting closer and closer to the $500 mark...?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
harobikes333 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2009 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
No, I'm not looking to be loud as possible, I'm just looking for preferably one amp instead of two. ( Hence the two channel option..?
The reason for the two channel is so that I can run both subs at 2 ohms instead of having to buy an amp that would push them well at 4 ohms.
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  

What are the specs on the sub...? dual 2 dual 4...? Must of missed it...?

M.E.C.P & First-Class
harobikes333 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
Specs of the two 12" Pioneer Premier subs:
650RMS / 2000 Peak
Dual 4 Ohms
or
Spec Sheet off Pioneer.com
Wiring Diagram
So.. I'm wanting to run them with a two channel amp 2 x 2ohms
harobikes333 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2009 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
Bumping since dead period was all weekend.
Update: I talked with a "car audio installer" at one of the car shops out of town ( went to a bigger city ).
I asked him what his thought was about running stuff at 1 ohm and he said he does it to all his stuff.... He also suggested using slot vented boxes and to practically never use a sealed box.   He also said that an A/B amp will pull as much power as a Class D amp....   Isn't he slightly incorrect here....?
Thanks,
Mark
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic