icon

re audio se subs, amp and box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
iskifreestyle17 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2009 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  

I was looking at the RE Audio SE either 12's or 15's to put in the back of a 94 Volvo wagon and had a couple questions on them and an Amp i found.

The specs say the subs have 600 watts Rms each but i've heard they handle more, so i found an Audiobahn A1300HCT Amp for pretty cheap, new, with 1200 watts Rms at 1 ohm and was wondering if i could hook up 2 subs (dual voice coils) at dual 4 ohms to an amp at 1 ohm to get the desired power. if i could, could you explain how and if not give me some ideas as to how i could get the desired power as i am on a budget.

Also I have room for a 45" x 18" x 18" box in the back to hold the two subs and was wondering if approx 4 cu ft (per sub) would be too much or too little for a ported box. (i would be building the box myself). I have installed some stereos and speakers before but just new to the subwoofers. Any information would be helpful. Thank you

spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  
yes you can wire the 4ohm dvc subs to 1ohm see the subwoofer wiring diagrams on this site!!and you should probably go with the recommended airspace from re audio 4 cu ft is alot!! do your own homework both of these answers are obtainable by doing a little research on this site.
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2009 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
If memory serves the SE-12 is designed for a 1 - 1.5 ft Sealed box.
I don't agree running amps in 1 ohm, especially not an Audiobahn!
iskifreestyle17 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2009 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  

Ok thank you, I actually did find the sub configurer so....

Option 1 (parallel/parallel) = 1 ohm load
Voice coils wired in parallel, speakers wired in parallel
Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 1 ohm mono

re audio se subs, amp and box - Last Post -- posted image.

Thanks for the quick responses. I question why not running the amp at 1 ohm. Does it not have enough power or..... and should i consider another amp for the subs. I am leaning toward the 2 15's and i cannot find the specs for a ported or sealed box on the RE Audio website, or anywhere. 4 cubic feet is probably too much but i haven't built anything yet, still up in the air. Again any help would be appreciated.

spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2009 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
those se 15" subs call for 4.o cuft of air space ported or 2cuft sealed.In your case with the above stated 4.ocuft you could run 2 15" sealed or 1 15" ported.I wouldnt run that audiobahn amp at 1ohm either but he was asking if he could not if he should. that amp wont last long at 1ohm .If you can afford another amp buy another amp!!!.look into something name brand.(jl audio,memphis,etc.
iskifreestyle17 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2009 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  

Just a slight correction, the box is 45" x 18" x 18" which translates to about 8 cu ft. So i would be making a ported box, how would i go about making a port. I know there are port calculators and other calculators but i'm kinda new to this and dont fully understand those. is there like a rule of thumb for making ports?

And if i were to use a different amp, what does anyone suggest? it would need around 1200-1600 watts Rms at 1 ohm and around $200-250 since i cant spend too much. Thanks for the quick responses, Im learning a lot.

spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2009 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
Your math doesn't add up 45"x18"x18" has an internal volume of 6.85352cuft.The port should be tuned to the recommended hz of the subs that can all be figured out here to. As for amps heres a pretty good one that is 259.00 at sonic exiMB Quart PAB 1200.1D.Box building is fun but it also can be complicated before you build you should do your homework on box building techniques ,sub recomendations,etc.
iskifreestyle17 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2009 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

That Amp looks good, and its not too expensive. I also saw the MA Audio HK1998 1200w Rms for 210, but i dont know about MA Audio, any suggestions? I would really like a ported box, however a sealed would be a LOT easier to construct. The subs seem loud enough that i dont think it will make too much of a difference and the SQ will be better with a sealed.

spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2009 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
stay away from ma audio anything there crap, every thing they make is junk that mb quart amp is good spend the little extra dough. You wont be disappointed
iskifreestyle17 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2009 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
ok i think i'm going to get the MB Quartz Amp as i found one for 240 new once i get my paycheck. Thanks for all the info

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic