icon

4 ohms sub to mono block

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dred 
Copper - Posts: 158
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2009 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys i want to know  i have a Boss D1200M and   i have a pioneer subwoofer tws256C 800 Watts subwoofer,  it is a 4ohms sub but the amp only put out 280 rms and the sub is 350 RMS but the amp only has 180 rms at 1. I want to know if i can change the ohm of the speaker so that i can get the full 1200 watts at 2ohms at 1 on the amp the full power of the amp.
dre
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2009 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

That would be a negative ghost rider....

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 22, 2009 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
You can change the woofer to a Dual Voice coil 2 Ohm.     Change = Go buy a new woofer.
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
dred, uh...there is no full 1200 watts.  Sorry.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2009 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
Get a New Amp.
That amp will never do 1200w
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2009 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  

mike swanson wrote:
Get a New Amp.
That amp will never do 1200w

Yep as stated...No way to get 1200w from that set-up...Just hook it up...Beat it til it bleeds and replace...Did you get this stuff as a package,,,? Not the best amp in the world...But again...I install lots of boss stuff...Dealer right down the street...So hook it up...kinda enjoy...I would go ahead and prepare for the upgrade w/ correct power wire etc...

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  

tjjr8120 wrote:
if your looking to do a 2 ohm load with a 4 ohm speaker but don't have the money to buy another sub then if you got a old 4 ohm speaker take the voice coil out of it and wire it together + to + and - to - and you got your 2 ohm load (not to worry the voice coil won't do anything) but make sure your sub is able to handle the rms level @ 2 ohms for those wondering where to install the voice coil put it in the enclousure and make sure you mount it securly.

WHAT?  No, if you want the speaker to function do NOT remove the voice coil.  Sheesh.

Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  

tjjr8120 wrote:
if your looking to do a 2 ohm load with a 4 ohm speaker but don't have the money to buy another sub then if you got a old 4 ohm speaker take the voice coil out of it and wire it together + to + and - to - and you got your 2 ohm load (not to worry the voice coil won't do anything) but make sure your sub is able to handle the rms level @ 2 ohms for those wondering where to install the voice coil put it in the enclousure and make sure you mount it securly.

Sometimes all I can say is WOW. 

WOW

Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
tjjr8120 wrote:
Brutality sets in... Get ready, 'cause here it comes... Somebody told me just recently, and here on this very board, in fact, that I was an ass... Well, while that IS a defining characteristic of mine, let's see if that truth is self-evident in this post.
WTH?!?!
I'm with i am an idiot... WOW! And I would add some sort of emoticon, but I can't even BEGIN to imagine how I could convey the amazement I find with the DEPTH of the idocy of that statement... And you REALLY work in car audio? You ain't even allowed to LOOK at my CAR, let alone touch the system within!
Are you serious? Why remove the voice coil? If you parallel a four ohm voice coil (removed from the woofer) with a 4 ohm voice coil (still in the woofer), HALF OF THE POWER YOUR AMP MAKES WILL BE DISSIPATED IN THAT UNATTACHED VOICE COIL!!! It doesn't all go into the working woofer!
So, if you have an amp rated 500 watts into 4 ohms, but only 900 watts (reasonable) into 2 ohms, then you will actually only be putting 450 watts into the working woofer! You are shorting yourself out of 50 watts, and while it won't likely be a noticeable drop in output, you ARE shorting yourself!
Dude... You really need to brush up on your Ohm's Law.
To the OP... Run 4-ohms. It's a Boss amp, it'll actually last more than 6 months if you do, and you might actually get some fidelity from it. (But I wouldn't hold my breath...)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 05, 2009 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
And there are some other times that all I can say is WOW, for completely different reasons.  This too is one of those times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic