Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jdubicki 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, i don't know any HU that can put out 14.4V rca. LOL

[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm trying to say. Does anyone have a guess as to how much power my amp might be putting out?? If it matter my RCA outputs are 2.5 volts.

2005 Honda Accord DX
jdubicki 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
Alright everybody, it seems that was majorly misunderstanding the whole RMS wattage at 14.4 volts issue. I just got off the phone with Alpine Tech Support and they tell me that If I blow a coil on the sub it will not damage the amp. They tell me it will go into protect mode. Do you agree. I want to replace the subs, I just can't do it right now. I just want to know if I can play the sub until they finally die with no worry of amp damage. Thanks.
2005 Honda Accord DX
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
Your amplifier is capable of full output.  The voltage from the head unit does not change the output capability.  But this is why you must set the gain properly: to match the input sensitivity of the amp to the output voltage of the HU.  Otherwise you can drive the amp into clipping, and this can fry the voice coils of your subs.  I suggest you need to set it properly or get some help from a pro and have it set or else the good sub will fry too.  Or ignore this advice and bang away until it dies.  It's your money.
Support the12volt.com
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2009 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
jdubicki wrote:

Wow, i don't know any HU that can put out 14.4V rca. LOL

That's what I'm trying to say. Does anyone have a guess as to how much power my amp might be putting out?? If it matter my RCA outputs are 2.5 volts.

[/QUOTE]
The RMS power of the amp at 14.4V is the input voltage form the BATTERY, not the voltage from the radio. As stated above the amp is perfectly capable to drive the maximum power without having the gains at "maximum". Gains are sensitivity settings, NOT volume knobs.
jdubicki 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2009 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  

I understand that gains are not volume control knobs. You guys are totally misunderstanding what I am trying to get across. Let me see if I can try this one more time. I just want to to know the following. I am getting mixed advice on all of these issues.

1. With the amp gains set properly, my 500 watt amp eventually destroy my 200/400 watt RMS/Peak subs??

2 If a voice coil on my subs do fail, will it damage my amp?? Alpine tell me that it will go into protect and will not damage the amp. Do you agree??

That's pretty much it. the reason that I ask is because the amp is new and I don't want to mess it up. The subs however, are old entry level subs that I would like to upgrade EVENTUALLY. I just want to know if I can continue to listen to my system  (WITH ALL GAIN LEVELS SET CORRECTLY). without fear of damaging the amp. I apologize for my ignorance about voltage. You guys have set me straight so now I understand how it works, thank you

2005 Honda Accord DX
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2009 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  

1)  Yes, it could if you run it full out.  It's not likely, though.

2) Not likely assuming the amp works the way it is designed to work.

Support the12volt.com
jdubicki 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2009 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all of yor help.
2005 Honda Accord DX
jdubicki 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2009 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I figured out the problem and feel like a total pet monkey about it. It only took me 2 months to figure it out. Seem is had the pos and neg wires correct on the amp, and backwards on the sub box. Everything sounds good now.
2005 Honda Accord DX
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 02, 2009 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
The wattage at 14.4 volts is referring to the battery voltage, not the rca voltage.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 02, 2009 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

jdubicki wrote:
Ok, I figured out the problem and feel like a total pet monkey about it. It only took me 2 months to figure it out. Seem is had the pos and neg wires correct on the amp, and backwards on the sub box. Everything sounds good now.

It happens all the time.  That's the first thing people don't check.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic