icon

Shock Sensor Placement

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Liamlunchtray 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2003 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
I have an audiovox APS610C in my car and my wife's car. They have been going off constantly. I went to adjust the sensitivity today and found that the shock sensor on my car was zip tied to a wire bundle and was able to freely move around. I called circuit city and they insisted that this was a proper way to install a shock sensor and that there is no need to securely attach it to the firewall or a structural brace. The install manual that came with the unit very clearly specifies that it must be securely fastened. Any input on this? I dont see how it could work properly if it was not affixed to something structural. Its a 2 stage sensor, so it seems to me that in order to be able to distinguish between the degrees of force it would need to be firmly attached.
Any input would be most appreciated.
Liam Gray
brianh 
Silver - Posts: 516
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2003 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
Yes the shock sensor does need to be securly attached. No offense to Circuit City workers but they are usually more concerned about the speed of the install instead of the quality. A good place to put it is on a dash support or any other structully sound location. Good luck!. Brian
bradleonard 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2003 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
Yes Circuit not only does a quick install, they often don't know what they are doing. Another good place to mount the shock sensor is on the steering column(securily). The steering column is a good location because if the car gets shaken the vibration will be transmitted through the steering column. This the best place for maximum sensitivity, with low false set offs.
Car-Stuff 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2003 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  

The DEI shock sensors must be mounted "cable tied" to a wiring harness and not securly fixed - otherwise they dont work very well

Nick

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic