amplifier problem?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
corewrecked 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2009 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  

Craig here,

im currently doin an audio system install and everything was goin smoothly from installing the head unit, fishing wires, to making connections. I connected the power from the pos. to my amp, then remote and rcas, connected the speaker wire to the subs. Now when i turn the ignition and turn the head unit on, the subs make a light thud or pop if you will every 3 or 4 secs. But there is sound coming from the interior speakers, i have a feeling my amp is toast! i am right or have i missed something?

i appreciate any replys!

thank u

Craig CorEwReCkEd
corewrecked 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2009 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
btw i have a 2000 grand am se
Craig CorEwReCkEd
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 03, 2009 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

I didn't read the list but I did notice that the first step was not remove the negative battery cable.  

The amp that is making the pulsing sound has one or more shorted output transistors.    If you have an ohm meter and some soldering skills, and are willing to do a little footwork, we can get it playing again.

Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 03, 2009 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  

tjjr8120 wrote:

2nd:connect remote turn on lead (blue wire)   - Blue/white is antenna

Only 2 lines in and already not looking so good.

Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 03, 2009 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

tjjr8120 wrote:

9th:connect ground first then rca and remote turn-on lead and last hook up positve into the amp (when putting in the amp fuse up by the battery don't be worried when the fuse make's a spark that's just letting you know that you have completed the circuit mount the fuse holder and your ready to rock) " make sure you amp fuse and holder is atleast 18" away from the battery so when you have surge's and all the good stuff that come's along with a stereo system you won't blow your amp cause you didn't make your connection too short from the battery to the fuse holder 

The fuse should be NO MORE than 18 inches from the battery.

corewrecked 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2009 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

if u can tell me what i need and i can get it, i will attempt this repair. im itching to get this working properly. do u know how this problem initialy occured?

Craig CorEwReCkEd
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 03, 2009 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
Generally caused by shorted speakers or too low of an ohm load.   What kind of amp is it? 
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
one thing i didn't see in the original post was connect the neg (-) wire.  I know the amp wont turn on without having the ground connected but not knowing how it's mounted possible on of the mounting screws is creating a a ground that's not proper and not allowing the amp to fully power up.  Also  if the ground is connected make sure that the contact point is clean and somewhere soild and has a diecent amount of metal to it. 
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
3rd Connect RCA Cable. I agree to "cable".
(making sure to run remote & rca's on the left of vehicle if your power wire is running on the right side note: if run all wire on one side together it will have back ground noise ( engine hum , speaker popping etc ).
This might be the case 1% of the time.
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  

WOW  

Nobody was Knocking on you.  You simply gave bad information.  I corrected it so that if he did do his own install he would not have to come back here and say  "Hey guys, when I play a CD, the display counts but no sound comes out.  Then we would have to point out that he had the blue wire turning his amp on instead of the blue/white wire.  If I remember correctly this was addressed in the MECP Basic test. 

Your statement about the fuse holder being at least 18 inches from the battery would lead some people to believe  that the fuse holder should be mounted in the trunk near the amplifier.  This would leave them about 17 feet of trouble waiting to happen. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic