icon

pos trigger to neg output?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rodriik 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2009 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys.  I am trying to get my positive door/dome light trigger to output a negative signal to control the maplights on a new Gentex rearview mirror.  My car is a 2009 Jeep Wrangler.

The Gentex mirror came with a relay box that had a switch for vehicles with + door triggers, and it worked, but the thing was really loud when turned on/off and it buzzed when the dome light would fade out.  I cut the box out and got a solid state relay to replace it, but I can not get the thing to work right.  Can anyone tell me the best way to wire it?

I can only get it to work opposite the dome light or stay always on.  Do I need to use two relays?

thanks

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2009 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
Flip it with a transistor Mr. Idiot has the answer.
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2009 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  

Or just use the neg. door triggers in the vehicle, and diode isolate each wire you use. Just use the wires you want to actually turn on the lights.

LF LatchVIOLET OR VIOLET/WHITE(-)IN HARNESS IN DRIVER KICKPANEL
pos trigger to neg output? -- posted image.RF LatchVIOLET/WHITE(-)IN HARNESS IN PASSENGER KICKPANEL
pos trigger to neg output? -- posted image.LR LatchVIOLET / YELLOW OR VIOLET GRAY(-)IN HARNESS IN DRIVER KICKPANEL
pos trigger to neg output? -- posted image.RR LatchVIOLET / YELLOW(-)IN HARNESS IN PASSENGER KICKPANEL
pos trigger to neg output? -- posted image.Trunk TriggerVIOLET/ORANGE(-)IN HARNESS IN PASSENGER KICKPANEL

rodriik 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2009 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
Flip it with a transistor Mr. Idiot has the answer.

How would I do that?  I'm using a Hella H41773001 like this  http://cat.hella.com/hella232/jsp/details/content/Object.jsp?editedObject=¤tObjectid=CA@USAData@PR@H41773001&type= &updateObjectid=true&backlinkId=1249246688791¤tObjectIndex=&SearchResultList==

thanks

rodriik 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2009 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2009 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  

This is almost too simple to answer but that relay will have 4 or 5 terminals. 85, 86, 87, 30 and possibly 87a.  Ignore 87a.

Take your domelight pos feed to 86,

ground to 85 and 30,

Neg output from 87 to the Gentex mirror, or even easier to modify what Mikvot says, take one or all of the door triggers, if you take more than one, diode them together with the bands towards the door triggers and feed them to your Gentex mirror.

That relay shown is $40 for $4 go to Radio Shack

rodriik 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2009 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:

This is almost too simple to answer but that relay will have 4 or 5 terminals. 85, 86, 87, 30 and possibly 87a.  Ignore 87a.

Take your domelight pos feed to 86,

ground to 85 and 30,

Neg output from 87 to the Gentex mirror, or even easier to modify what Mikvot says, take one or all of the door triggers, if you take more than one, diode them together with the bands towards the door triggers and feed them to your Gentex mirror.

That relay shown is $40 for $4 go to Radio Shack

Thanks, but that is the way I tried to do it before posting here, and it doesn't work.  Could it be because the relay is solidstate?

rodriik 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2009 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
It stays on permanently when connected in that manner.
rodriik 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2009 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
Is there anyone that actually does know how to hook up a solidstate relay so the polarity is reversed?
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2009 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
First off, start your own thread.
Second, year, make, model of vehicle
Third, what model of autopage
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic