the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

response to a pm, what are caps good for?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2009 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
I know people always ask "What are caps good for?". I thought this was well worded, even if I do say so myself, and I thought others might benefit from my response. A member of the forum here (who didn't want to ask publicly) asked me when I would use a cap in this qustion:
anonymous forum member wrote:
I did not want to post this up on the public board. I know they do have a use when you have done the big 3. I just wanted to know when you would go add one to a system.
And I responded to him with this:
haemphyst wrote:
There ARE times that I would add a cap, but NOT for what you have been told they are needed for. I add one to stabilize the voltage that my amplifiers are seeing... I know that's what you've been told they are for, but I do NOT beat my system hard like that. To stabilize the input voltage to the power supply CAN help to lower the THD and improve the damping on the outputs, by virtue of keeping the internal voltages more stable. I have never tested this, mind you, but with my background, I can see it as being the truth.
I also do not use caps on JUST the "bass amp". Although the filtered current "shares" through the entire electrical system of the car, the most benefit is seen by connecting the device most wanted to see the benefit as close as possible to the filter.... And what is the filter? THE CAP! Ohm's law says the voltage will be distributed and maintained through all connections in a parallel circuit, but the resistance of extra wire will have some effect on that. This means that the further the device is from the filter, the less that device will benefit from that filter being present, due to the additional resistances in the wire. My cap's connections in my particular system ARE the distribution block, and ALL of my amplifiers (three PDX amps, for an "advertised" 2200 watts, but more like 2600 "birthsheeted" watts) "benefit" from the caps being present - I have two 1F caps in my trunk. WAY overkill, really, as I probably use 200 to 300 watts of my entire system when I'm really "gettin' jiggy wid it". (This is estimated, by the way, based on the amount of current I can see my alternator making. I have a digital current meter in my dash, and I rarely see even peaks of 30 to 35A even on heavy songs...)
So you see, in theory (my theory, anyway) they CAN be an appropriate addition, but they can NOT provide magic power. If your supply (in the car, that's your alternator) is too small, you cannot add a cap and expect it to provide you suddenly with all the power you need to run your system correctly. That's NOT the way a cap works, but it IS the way caps are marketed. They DO filter noise, and they DO stabilize small voltage fluctuations and current drops, which are both good things to have, but they do not and can not "stiffen" a power supply. The CONTINUOUS AVERAGE power consumption of ALL your car's accessories MUST be below the continuous current capability of the power source. It just makes sense when you read it like that, right?
So... That's haemphyst's answer to "The Cap Q". Hope this helps.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2009 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
This should be a sticky, as it is very helpful when one wants to add a cap to their system.
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2009 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
Great job writing this haemphyst,very insightful and easy to understand.I too vote for this to be a sticky.
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2009 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
the only thing missing (I think) is that you should USE AN H/O ALT WITH A BATT THEN TO CAPS.
The 2nd batt would then keep the cap charged the H/O Alt would keep the 2nd batt charged.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic