icon

2 ohm amp powering 1 ohm speakers problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bumpinmymusic 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  

I have a dodge ram with the infinity sound system. I wanted to bypass the whole infinity system and do my own set up.. I ran new wires to power the door speakers from the JL e4300 amp..I installed my Kenwood HU which worked fine and the my other amp JL 250/1 and sub JL 10" W3 worked fine as well...my problem is the speakers...I used my JL e4300 amp to power the factory 1 ohm Infinity door speakers....All I got when I powered it on was a loud static noise with little music coming thru...

It was not the alternator since my car was not on.... I have both amps running off the same 1 awg power wire and into a distributor block, both are using the same ground location and both are using same remote wire... I wanted to know what is causing this problem? Because my sub and the sub amp work fine....could this be caused from the 1 ohm speakers powering off a 2 ohm amp? I want to upgrade the speakers to MB quarts but I wanted to make sure that this won't happen when I upgrade the speakers?

Thanks

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
Simple answer: replace the speakers.  Factory Infinity or Bose systems are pretty difficult to integrate with after-market pieces.  Some of them have amplifier modules attached to the speakers themselves, most of them are 1-ohm which will shut down most amplifiers, and they really are not very high quality.  You've spent a lot of money already in some good quality equipment: don't stop now, especially since the speakers are probably the most important contributor to what you end up hearing.  Buy some good aftermarket speakers that you like.
Support the12volt.com
bumpinmymusic 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Simple answer: replace the speakers.  Factory Infinity or Bose systems are pretty difficult to integrate with after-market pieces.  Some of them have amplifier modules attached to the speakers themselves, most of them are 1-ohm which will shut down most amplifiers, and they really are not very high quality.  You've spent a lot of money already in some good quality equipment: don't stop now, especially since the speakers are probably the most important contributor to what you end up hearing.  Buy some good aftermarket speakers that you like.

Thanks I finally got a reply from someone who knows what they are talking about....I never had a problem like this when I did this to any of my ford vehicles......

I was thinking of going with some MB Quart mids and highs...can you recommend any good quality speakers that won't break the bank?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
A lot of people like MBQ speakers.  I always recommend Infinity Kappas as the low-cost speaker I like the best, and some Boston speakers sound pretty good too.  It's really up to you and every-one's taste is different.  I suggest grabbing one of your favorite CDs and go shopping.  Trust your ears.  While nothing will ever sound exactly the same in a showroom as it will in your vehicle, you can tell if something sounds good or bad to you by comparing them in a shop.  Go shopping.
Support the12volt.com
bumpinmymusic 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
A lot of people like MBQ speakers.  I always recommend Infinity Kappas as the low-cost speaker I like the best, and some Boston speakers sound pretty good too.  It's really up to you and every-one's taste is different.  I suggest grabbing one of your favorite CDs and go shopping.  Trust your ears.  While nothing will ever sound exactly the same in a showroom as it will in your vehicle, you can tell if something sounds good or bad to you by comparing them in a shop.  Go shopping.

I've had infinity's and to be honest I like the kappa series a lot and I've never had them amp'd so I can imagine they will sound really good! I think I'm going that route again..

mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
The MBQs are not the same as they were years back. Now Maxxsonics make them
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2009 at 2:11 AM / IP Logged  
When/IF replacing the factory speakers, the wire should be re-run as well. I'm not sure if your vehicle is like many that I have came across that when placing a toner on a channel, the sound comes out all speakers, at least a little bit. The loudest tone usually dictated the correct channel. EVEN when the stock or aftermarket deck could fade/balance the music to 1 channel properly.
This is what I do for FUN!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic