icon

viper sst

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tsremodel 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, I'm back! LOL I got a few simple questions maybe a pro can help me out.

1. Is there a outside replacement attenna for the viper sst responder? The window standard one keeps falling off the window. I figure a outside one would look cool on my box truck. :)

2. Can I add a 2nd horn to the brain box? Do I have to add a relay? Do they make a weather proof horn?

I love my SST but need to fix a few problems.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
I start to use velcro on on my personal vehicle to attach the antenna to the glass. I haven't see other ones for exterior mounting.
I have added mini piezo straight up to the brown siren wire. Have had the two sirens on for about 2-yrs now. It often goes off for over 30sec and everything still work.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  

As profuse said i don''t think they make an external antenna, this would be rather unwise especially in pager systems as a would be thief could easily dismantle it and voila, no page while he's stealing!

Also a tip, clean the area you are going to stick the antenna to with some methyl alcohol and let it dry and then stick your antenna, also make sure you do it when the atmosphere is warm the heat on the glass would cause it to stick and remain.

Yes you can add a second siren to the alarm but it may cause problems if they run for extended periods of time as the system is only really made to carry one siren. A relay isn't necessary but in the long run it would be the wiser way to go! Weather proof horn! how would they make money if they did this! lol! Just ensure you mount it downwards!

tsremodel 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply I wasnt really worried about them dismentaling it seeing it would be located on top the box truck. You would need a 10' ladder to reach it. But oh well if they dont make one.

I also plan on mounting the horn on the ladder rack. My problem is I park my truck on the side of the house and my master bedroom is located on the other side. I live in a safe area, but been having major problems with a immagrant that is living on the side of the house that I park the box truck. I am worried that he might put something in the fuel tank, or tamper with my truck. So I pinned the gas cap and added a high res camara on the corner eve connected to a dvr. But I would still like to hear the horn if there is a problem.

I'll just add a relay, it prob will be my best bet.

What about them night rider lights. Would the brain handle the added amps?

Thanks everyone.

Tom

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2009 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

For things that I really need to stick. I use a 3m vhb double sided foam tape, that you can buy at Wal-mart. It's generally back in the paint section. Has a green and white backing. Clean with alcohol and use this, and it won't come off.

t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2009 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

Night rider lights! The ground when armed wire would run one or two "night rider lights" comfortably along with the starter kill relay, you would have to diode isolate the output of the GWA wire though! If however, you're adding more than per say two lights, then you should think about boosting that GWA signal with a relay.

Why are they called night rider lights? lol! i can't recall the night rider having blinking lights! Or did i look at a different movie! The car was cool though!

Cheers tsremodel!

tsremodel 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  

Great tip on the ground when armed. I'll for sure put a relay on it. To be safe. I want the truck to say don't F*CK  with me or else. LOL Knight Rider did have the lights on the front grill.

Thanks again everyone. This is a great site.

Tom
TS Remodeling & More

profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2009 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
I never had much luck w/ those, it doesn't stick on well for long period of time. I suggest getting the industrial double-sided tape, they're black. you can find these at home depot.
mikvot wrote:

For things that I really need to stick. I use a 3m vhb double sided foam tape, that you can buy at Wal-mart. It's generally back in the paint section. Has a green and white backing. Clean with alcohol and use this, and it won't come off.

Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 08, 2009 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
Remember that any relay that is always energized will drain a car battery in a fairly short time.  If you must increase the current capacity of the gwa wire at least use a reed relay or some other sort of device that has a very low current draw, as it will be energized whenever the alarm is armed!
Kevin Pierson
t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2009 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  

Before i knew that a constantly energized relay (normal single pole double throw) would drain the battery when it was energized and the car was off, i remember doing an install for a guy and boosting his GWA signal with a relay, suprisingly he never returned to say he found his battery was drained constantly, whenever he parked his car, i know it could just be that i was lucky on that one occasion, but i never did it again when i learned the real facts about relays! Thanks to the 12volts and as dubbed by howie, the relay king Kevin! 

P.S did that install bout two years ago so i know i was lucky!

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic