99 dodge ram powered speaker problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deputyjoel 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged  

Hey all,

I have run into a problem I can't figure out.  I just bought a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 truck.  The previous owner has installed a nice Alpine head unit, but kept all the factory speakers that are amplified at the speaker.  (I came to find this out after I tore into the project).  I bought some nice Pioneer 6X9s but I can't figure out how to wire them to get sound.  I would assume the alpine head unit should power the new speakers even thought they are not now amplified.  I've also observed that now that I have removed the front left speaker, the left rear speaker is dead.  I did not plan on replacing the rear speakers.  Any help figuring this out would be greatly appreciated!

deputyjoel 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
I sure hope someone will have some thoughts on this!  I know Dodge uses the amplified speakers in other vehicles, so the re-wiring of them to standard speakers is probably simple and commonly done, but I can't find any info when I search.  Thanks in advance for your help!
paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
is the amp actually on the speakers?  Some of the dodge trucks have an amp up behind the glove box.  If there is an amp on each individual speaker there shouldn't be any extra wiring required.  Just cut the factory speaker out and hook up the new one. 
deputyjoel 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
Perhpas out of ignorance I mis-spoke.  There is a black box attached to the front 6X9 factory speaker with about 8 wires going into it.  Purple, black, white, red, brown are a few that I remember. I assume this is an amplifier.  I did cut the wires off and wired the traditional red wire to the positive side of the new speaker and the black wire to the negitive side of the speaker and no sound!  I've tried a few different combinations, but still no sound!  Also, weird that the left rear speaker doesn't work anymore.  Again, I'm counfused since the new (not factory) Alpine head unit should put out the necessary power to drive the after market speakers.  I'm hoping someone has delt with this situation and can point me in the right direction and proper wiring..
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, those are self-amplified speakers.  For best results replace them and run new speaker wires.  Check the Hot Topics forum for a how to on running new wiring through a door molex.
Support the12volt.com
paidnfull 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  

You could also slide out the deck and check to see what colors are at the harness.  If two of the wires in the door are the same colors as what is hooked up to the radio harness, they will likely be the right wires.  And it would make it easy to distinguish polarity.

If that doesn't help then what dyohn said would be the other option.  Just rewire the whole vehicle.

Good luck

joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
+1 With paidnfull!!
...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
deputyjoel 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your input.  I was hoping to get the job done without re-wiring the whole vehicle!  I will check the back of the deck for the wiring.  Makes sense to me!
paidnfull 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
just make sure you are looking at the right wires.  ie: look at what is coming out of the right front speaker and then look in the right front door.  you can always check for continuity on those wires to be safe too. 
deputyjoel 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

Part of the problem is the funky wiring loom that comes out into the door and goes into the speaker has 8 wires!  I'm not sure I can figure it out by looking at the back of the headunit.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic