icon

amp ground wire shows power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tbyrd200 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2009 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
The amp will not come on at all, and it has power. When I turn on the HU the ground wire to the amp shows that it is powered, when the HU is switched off it goes back to ground. The amp has been working fine until this week.
Thanks,
Ted
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2009 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
Its prolly the amp. Amps like to fry from heat where power and ground connect. if it had a powere or ground issue?
Like not enough power or bad ground. remote wire pinched???
So the amp gets hot and melts the terms together inside or outside the amp.
Prolly inside the solder melted together.
jimi77 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2009 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  

tbyrd200 wrote:
The amp will not come on at all, and it has power. When I turn on the HU the ground wire to the amp shows that it is powered, when the HU is switched off it goes back to ground. The amp has been working fine until this week.
Thanks,
Ted

You probably didn't melt any solder or you'd (probably) notice melted connections, burn wire, etc.  Something has shorted inside the amp in the power supply.

You talking to me???
P9 Combo
ID CD1-Pros
Focal Utopia Midbass
10" Brahma
Clarion APX amps
vibrationcustum 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2009 at 2:22 AM / IP Logged  
mike swanson wrote:
Its prolly the amp. Amps like to fry from heat where power and ground connect. if it had a powere or ground issue?
I like this answer, I have seen alot of this and fixed alot of amps that had this problem. Most of the time is it is the plastic that melts and makes the connections hit. All you got to do is take the cover off the amp and see it the bottom or top of the amp is burn or melted. If so let us know and I or someone can lead you through it on how to fix it if you don't know how too.
Can't be loud then don't have it.
(power acoustik system)
Head unit- TID-896 7" TOUCHSCREEN
ovn1-5500d 09 and another one coming soon
4-12" mofos 12ft3 box to 40hz (wall)
2 batterys, 1 power
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 10, 2009 at 6:21 AM / IP Logged  
You have a bad connection where your ground wire is connected to the chassis of the vehicle.   The ground is connected well enough to show a ground when there is no current being pulled through it.  When you turn the amp on, it tries to pull a little current and it can not provide the current.  That is why it is showing power.  Check to make sure the ground connection is tight at the amp and at the connection point of the vehicle. 
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
jimi77 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2009 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  

vibrationcustum wrote:
mike swanson wrote:
I like this answer, I have seen alot of this and fixed alot of amps that had this problem. Most of the time is it is the plastic that melts and makes the connections hit. All you got to do is take the cover off the amp and see it the bottom or top of the amp is burn or melted. If so let us know and I or someone can lead you through it on how to fix it if you don't know how too.

Huh?  I used to repair amps and I've never seen solder melt inside them or burn up plastic inside an amp.  In general there isn't much plastic to burn up inside the amp. 

You talking to me???
P9 Combo
ID CD1-Pros
Focal Utopia Midbass
10" Brahma
Clarion APX amps
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 10, 2009 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
You have a bad connection where your ground wire is connected to the chassis of the vehicle.   The ground is connected well enough to show a ground when there is no current being pulled through it.  When you turn the amp on, it tries to pull a little current and it can not provide the current.  That is why it is showing power.  Check to make sure the ground connection is tight at the amp and at the connection point of the vehicle. 

That was my first thought as well - I would check the ground and make sure it is making a solid connection.

Kevin Pierson
heedless619 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  

I experienced the same problem Yesterday after replacing my ground wires to 4 gauge. I also distributed the ground wires to one point, could this be the reason? I did it before with the 8 gauge but it works great with little noise. 

I found out the ground shows power because everytime I turn on the headunit, my fuse would blow! forgot to mention, I'm new here and in need of help! I want to make sure I could still use the amp before I buy another one! Thanks and sorry for Thread jacking! 

hungry_eye 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  

Get yourself another amplifier.  Wire it up and see if it replicates the issue.  If it does, you kow there is something wrong with your insatall; if not, you have a faulty amp. 

heedless619 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
hungry_eye wrote:

Get yourself another amplifier.  Wire it up and see if it replicates the issue.  If it does, you kow there is something wrong with your insatall; if not, you have a faulty amp. 

Good idea, I'm worried it might fry that one tho!! I might try the amp on another car to see what happens. I'm just hoping I don't have to buy another amp! Thanks.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic