the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

amp ground wire shows power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
custombass 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
A short circuit occurs when a circuit path is created between the positive and negative poles of a battery, power supply, or circuit. A short circuit will bypass any resistance in a circuit and cause it not to operate. Somewhere in your wiring I believe that has occurred. A good example is positive and negative touching somewhere. That's why I asked if your insulation had any gashes or cuts, also why I asked if connectors were used or if it was simply stripped wire wound around a bolt...maybe ground issue there as well.
heedless619 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  

custombass wrote:
A short circuit occurs when a circuit path is created between the positive and negative poles of a battery, power supply, or circuit. A short circuit will bypass any resistance in a circuit and cause it not to operate. Somewhere in your wiring I believe that has occurred. A good example is positive and negative touching somewhere. That's why I asked if your insulation had any gashes or cuts, also why I asked if connectors were used or if it was simply stripped wire wound around a bolt...maybe ground issue there as well.

The only thing he took off was the rear seat(1999 Honda Prelude). It was working fine before so I'm not sure if any cuts can occur. I'll check for cuts on the power and ground. I really hope I get this fixed! Thanks again! 

heedless619 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
One thing, If it's the ground or the wiring, Why does the 4ch amp still function?? There's E noise but it still works and they share the same ground and power??
custombass 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
Thats a good question, have you checked to see that your remote wire has enough amperage to turn both of your amps on? If its not the wiring, check that out. Might have to use a relay for your remote turn on's. Remember, be patient. Troubleshooting is a process of elimination. Check the current from the remote wire from the HU. Then check to see how much it requires to turn on your amps in combination, if there is more current needed than what your HU is capable of, a relay might be your solution. Also try first disconnecting your four channel and running only your sub amp. Please post your findings.
heedless619 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  

custombass wrote:
Thats a good question, have you checked to see that your remote wire has enough amperage to turn both of your amps on? If its not the wiring, check that out. Might have to use a relay for your remote turn on's. Remember, be patient. Troubleshooting is a process of elimination. Check the current from the remote wire from the HU. Then check to see how much it requires to turn on your amps in combination, if there is more current needed than what your HU is capable of, a relay might be your solution. Also try first disconnecting your four channel and running only your sub amp. Please post your findings.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Will do this weekend.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
If you are showing positive 9 volts on your ground terminal of your amp, There is no other way to explain that situation other than having a bad connection on the ground wire where it is connected to the vehicle, or where the vehicle's chassis is connected to the battery's negative terminal.  There is no way a remote wire or an RCA jack, nor a low coolant reservoir can cause this.
heedless619 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
If you are showing positive 9 volts on your ground terminal of your amp, There is no other way to explain that situation other than having a bad connection on the ground wire where it is connected to the vehicle, or where the vehicle's chassis is connected to the battery's negative terminal.  There is no way a remote wire or an RCA jack, nor a low coolant reservoir can cause this.
What if the other amp is working properly and it shares the same grounding point from a distribution block.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
There is a bad connection where the amp in question is connected to the distribution block, or at the connection at the terminal of the amp.  Check the voltage of the wire between the amp and distribution block.  You will need to pierce the insulation of the wire to do this.  If the voltage is 9 there, the bad connection is at the distribution block.  If the voltage is 0 on the wire, the bad connection is at the amplifier's ground terminal.
heedless619 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
There is a bad connection where the amp in question is connected to the distribution block.
I'll check that, Thanks!
heedless619 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, I think I found out the problem ,it's my amp! I installed another amp and work perfectly! I wonder how my amp went bad? Just moments before changing the wires, it was working perfectly?! I wonder if it got shorted or something. Probably bad terminals?! I guess I can't really blame my friend, because I don't have proof. He did my system many times and he did it for free. I need to find a place to fix it or just buy a new amp!
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic