the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2 car batteries?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2009 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  

ianarian wrote:
I would think that the energy needed pushing 2 15's would be greater then the energy required by 10's. So, 12 boat speakers all flexin for 1 hr uses the same battery power as 4 speakers in 1 hr as long as ohm's are the same?

Ohm's Law.  Do you know what that is?  How about Kirchoff's current law?

Support the12volt.com
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2009 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
Thats nuts, there is a open circuit in my head. Lights not on. Without thinking it through, I was under the belief that you can drain a battery quicker with 2-15's on a 1000w amp quicker than you could 12" with the same resistance on the same amp. So, with 500w X 2ch stereo 4ohm amp, matched I/O levels with the source(gain), at half volume, your Memphis Reference 12's are maxed out. Say your drawing peaks of 40 amps. Lets pretend they're SVC 4ohm. Then you throw in your Diamond Audio DVC 2ohm/series(4ohm) 15's in and notice you can turn the volume up twice as much, then your drawing peaks up to 80 amps. What am I missing? I'd like to re-study or learn the comprehension behind this.
This is what I do for FUN!
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2009 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

2 car batteries? - Page 2 -- posted image.  Go ahead and install the equipment you want...Amp,Subs,Etc...Make sure you do "The Big 3" upgrade before you install the amp....(just do a forum search on the big 3) It looks like this might get a lettle ugly...! So post what equipment your defitnely installing... (Are you going to install this stuff yourself...Or have a shop do it...?) Once you install the equipment and properly tune/set gains,and do THE BIG 3 upgrade...Lets get a meter on there and see what your voltage is dropping to...Have you put any thought into the enclosure/box the subs are going in...? Lets also make sure you are installing the correct size power wire...And the point at which you ground the amp is soooooooooooo important!!!!!!!!! My advice is to make a decision on the equipment...But dont cheat yourself on the amp kit or box...!

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 12, 2009 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  

(2) 4 ohm 1" tweeters will draw the same power as (2) 4 ohm 18" subs when hooked up the same way to the same amp.  The amount of power has to do with the overall impedence of the load, not the amp or size / shear number of speakers.

As far as the battery question, like somebody already said if there isn't enough current being generated a HO alternator would be the correct way to go.  However, install your equipment first, do the big 3, and then feel it out.  No use putting money where it isn't needed.

I would recomend a "performance" battery over a stock battery any day - the construction of the battery can determine how efficiently it charges, which can turn more current from the alternator in to stored power instead of heat.

Kevin Pierson
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2009 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

livinloud247 wrote:
I'm a little confused, but worried at the same time. My friend has 1 12" Kicker L7 in his Blazer, and supposedly it sucked all the juice from his battery. So, he got a 2nd battery put into his car. I'm curious as to if this is necessary if you have alot of power? Say 2 12" CVX's pushing 1500 rms @ 1 ohm? I don't want to risk buying something and then finding out that it just sucks all of my battery...

Is this your current set-up...? Are you having any dimming issues...? Or Is this just the set-up your considering...? What amp is it exactly...? Some shops will throw a 2nd battery in b/c thats what the customer wants...Some do it as just an up-sell...For the most part adding a 2nd battery is part of process that should be completed ...Like adding a 2nd battery is step 3 but you missed steps 1-2-4-5...Follow me...? And as Kp said which took me 2 posts and 4 edits...Install...Feel it out...Defitnely upgrade battery under hood...!(also big 3)

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2009 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  

ianarian wrote:
Thats nuts, there is a open circuit in my head. Lights not on. Without thinking it through, I was under the belief that you can drain a battery quicker with 2-15's on a 1000w amp quicker than you could 12" with the same resistance on the same amp. So, with 500w X 2ch stereo 4ohm amp, matched I/O levels with the source(gain), at half volume, your Memphis Reference 12's are maxed out. Say your drawing peaks of 40 amps. Lets pretend they're SVC 4ohm. Then you throw in your Diamond Audio DVC 2ohm/series(4ohm) 15's in and notice you can turn the volume up twice as much, then your drawing peaks up to 80 amps. What am I missing? I'd like to re-study or learn the comprehension behind this.

Two 12" 4-ohms speakers and two 15" 4-ohms speakers will place the same effective load on an amplifier.  Of course if you change the loading you will change the current draw.  Like I said, Ohm's Law.  It is difficult to know if that's what you are even talking about, however....

Support the12volt.com
ajstetler 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2009 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
livinloud247 wrote:
I think it sucked all of his juice while the car wasn't running. But, I think I may stick with CVR's. Those shouldn't need anything special. Maybe go with Alpine Type-R's. Suggestions on that one?
Not sure how this happens either. Depending on how the amp was wired, there should be no current draw with the radio off. Was the key on accessory with the car not running?
Big Al
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2009 at 3:19 AM / IP Logged  
"It is difficult to know if that's what you are even talking about, however.."
Forgive me Dyohn, I cant get this answered anywhere else...
I can play my single 12" on my system for hours without the battery dieing. Sometimes at events I disconnect the 12" sub. I have wires pre-ran in flex tubing to the bed of the truck where I play 2-Diamond Audio 15's with the same amp. With the 15's I can turn the volume and sub level up higher than the 12". The battery will die within 1 hour. By "die" I mean, no longer enough power to start the truck. Why is that?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 13, 2009 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  

ianarian wrote:
"It is difficult to know if that's what you are even talking about, however.."
Forgive me Dyohn, I cant get this answered anywhere else...
I can play my single 12" on my system for hours without the battery dieing. Sometimes at events I disconnect the 12" sub. I have wires pre-ran in flex tubing to the bed of the truck where I play 2-Diamond Audio 15's with the same amp. With the 15's I can turn the volume and sub level up higher than the 12". The battery will die within 1 hour. By "die" I mean, no longer enough power to start the truck. Why is that?

First off, more volume = more power so by simply turning the radio up theoretically you will increase current draw.

Second, how many ohms is your 12" sub and what is the ohm load of the 2 15s?  If the 2 15s together have less impedence then the 1 12" sub you will increase power again.

Kevin Pierson
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2009 at 4:44 AM / IP Logged  
"First off, more volume = more power so by simply turning the radio up theoretically you will increase current draw."
theoretically we could write that that in stone
"Second, how many ohms is your 12" sub and what is the ohm load of the 2 15s? If the 2 15s together have less impedence then the 1 12" sub you will increase power again"
The 15's are both DVC.2 ohm, the 12" is a DVC.4 ohm.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic