icon

lack of power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
el3ments 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2009 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for your advice. I just walked to the a local car audio shop and bought two 0 to 4 gauge distribution boxes. I will hook it up without the capacitor to see if it makes a difference. I will then check my ground cable resistance either way.
If I split the 0 gauge ground cable into two 4 gauge cables and send one to the amp and the other to the capacitor it will then be in parallel correct?
Again thank you both. lack of power - Page 2 -- posted image.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2009 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  

I suggest you don't use a ground distribution block.  Connect the amp directly to ground as close to its mounting location as you can.  Yes, you will probably need to drill a new hole, scrape the paint and use a star washer.  And get rid of the cap.

Check the "What is a good ground?" post in the Hot Topics section.  You may also want to check the "How to set your gain" post.

Support the12volt.com
el3ments 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2009 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
I don't disagree with you on getting rid of the cap but why do you think I should get rid of it?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2009 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
Large caps like that can cause more harm than do any good as they place extra load on your alternator.  You shouldn't need it.  Plus, while you're trying to troubleshoot a problem it simply adds another element to worry about (you do have it connected incorrectly as was already pointed out.)  Just eliminate it and get your amp problem solved first, then if you decide you want to add it back in we can help you connect it correctly.
Support the12volt.com
el3ments 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2009 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
Ok. Thank you.
wolfox 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2009 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
To clarify on how to parallel wire:
Think Christmas lights strung together in a chain, each light with power running in straight rails that do not cross and are unbroken from light to light - same polarity from end to end.
Got that in your imagination?
Apply the same thought to your wiring:
Positive from battery + to positive on capacitor post then on to the positive on amplifier power. Negative cable from chassis grounding spot to negative post on capacitor and then from capacitor negative post to amplifier negative.
DYohn speaks with much wisdom in jut leaving the capacitor out of the picture altogether, as you honestly will NOT need it if your alt, battery and wiring is air tight. You have plenty of power with your alternator upgrade. It's also One Less Thing(tm) to go wrong as you troubleshoot your particular problem.
Life is too short to build slow computers or weak audio!
el3ments 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2009 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
I will be doing away with my cap when I get off of work. I will let you guys know what happens.
wolfox 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2009 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
*blink* I think I will shut up now. DYohn apparently tapped my brain or he and I are looking in the same playbook, chapter and page here... Honest - those posts popped up while I was worsmithing and typo squashing. :D
Does it at least earn this parrot a cracker? ;> I leave the place to go deal with real life for a month and come back to this spooky place filled with echoes and moderators that are spot on *good*. Sheesh, there's nothing for me to do here but sit back and watch the flames in other threads. (Rising from poorly thought out installations and shoddy advice - who are these people anyway?)
el3ments 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2009 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  

Here is an update.

I used both of those power blocks and used them to reduce my power and ground cables from 0 gauge to 4 gauge. I know I should not use the power block on negative but I don't have a choice at the moment. The cap is nolonger hooked up and there is very little to no difference in the performance of the system. I notice that my lights dim now when the bass hits and the voltage drops.

Is this a sign of the need for additional power in my charging system?

I noticed my ground connection was not very good. I sanded off the paint on the car so that it was metal to metal. Still no change in performance.

I tried to messure the resistance of my ground cable. Do you disconnect the batter negative then read it from the negative battery connector to the end of the ground cable to the amp with it also disconnected?

If the lights are dimming is it possible I still have a problem with my setup or is my vehicles charging system not keeping up?

wolfox 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2009 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  
It is *likely* that the alt is performing fine. High output alternators will not flow at full current with the engine idle - peak output is at about 2~3k RPM typically. Check your ground after zeroing your meter:
Touch or clip the leads together after powering it on and setting for the 20 ohm range. If digital, press the "REF" button with the leads touching after the numbers settle. This makes the meter ignore it's own reistance. (They sorta "float" around .02~.03 ohms and this makes it read 0.) If you have an analogue meter, same thing, turn it on - clip the leads together after setting next to lowest ohm range, fiddle with the zero adjust knob until zeroed.
Disconnect the negative terminal off the battery and measure resistance from the negative terminal on the amp to the negative lead that normally is bolted to the battery. If it reads higher than 1.5 Ohms, you need to work on getting it as close to zero as possible. It will never be perfectly zero, but over 2 ohms is a clear and dangerous sign that you have a ground issue still.
With the battery still disconnected, check resistance between the alternator output post and the battery positive terminal, that too should read nearly zero, typically a few hundredths (0.0xx) Ohms or so should be the measurement in a good power setup.
Bolt it all back together once you are satisfied and power up the system. Raise your engine RPM up to 1500~2000, monitor voltages. At speed, your alternator should put out a flat 14.4~14.8 volts with lights on, defroster running, audio pumping. If it is still dipping with a heavy bass hit - check your accessory belt(s) - see below. At idle, even with a high performance alternator, voltage drops will be present with a heavy vehicle electrical load, but should not fall below 13 volts.
Shut the engine down after turning off everything, no interior lights going, etc. Plate saturation in the battery will make it drop in voltage at a decent clip, but a fully charged lead-acid cell settles at 12.5v after a few minutes. Any lower, the battery and/or alternator is suspect. Either can be tested for free for the asking at many automotive parts stores. Be warned though, to test it, it has to be taken out of the vehicle.
Also consider too that belt wear will make an alternator under load slip if it's near the end of it's wear limit. Fresh, tight belts are mandatory for audio setups, so keep that in mind. (I chew through one every 12K miles on my truck even with a sedate 190 Watt X4 amp and MRP-M500 monoblock)
If after the "cheap -n- dirty" checks here do not work, may have to consider the fact that your amp may be to blame after checking your sub on a donor amp or buddy's rig. Usually a bad subwoofer will make horrendous rattling and buzzing noises or not work at all if it's gone by the wayside. Also try swapping out your amp with another of it's kind or of similar design. (I know, a lot of work but it beats shelling out bucks for a new one or a rebuild)
You sound pretty sharp and now armed with a little knowledge, go forth and kick butt! I really hope that you just discover a high resistance in a line and get it exorcised quickly. Good luck. :D
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic