icon

speaker selection for sq

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
riverratxj 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2009 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
  First off this is my first post and secondly, AWSOME site.  Now here is what I want to do/know:  I have a '99 Jeep Cherokee Limited which I love.  So far I have 2 12" Kenwood "Tyhoons" in a custom ported box.  A RF Punch 3001 powers these.  I know they are old, but I cant say anything negative about this setup.  Its about 6 years old and has never flinched.  Everything else is stock.  I do have the Infinity package so there is tweeters in the "sail" panels and a factory amp under the rear seat.  That is what I have.  This is what I want:  In a nut-shell, when I turn it up, I want it to sound like there is a concert going on inside my truck.  Like the band itself is in there with me.  Good, clean(make that super clean), "punchy" bass but not overpowering.  Crystal clear highs and mids that hit you in the gut.  I want to know some opinions on speakers that will do this for me.  And obviously anything else besides speakers that I will need.  I understand that I need to make my decesion based on hearing them myself but there are SOOO many to choose from that I would like to narrow it down to a couple options that I can then physicly go and take a listen.  So what componet sets, subs, head units, ect have done well for you people that do this kind of thing everyday?  I would like to keep it around $1000 for everything.  Thanks for reading and hope to hear some opinions.
riverratxj 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2009 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  

BTW:  the speaker placement in a Cherokee is 5.25" front speakers in the bottom of the doors; and 5.25" speakers in a sound bar on the headliner in the very rear of the cab that aim pretty much at the back of your head when sitting in the front seat(s).  There is no speakers in the rear doors.  Now, if there is a better set-up/placement than this for SQ, let me know.  Im not afraid to cut-up and make custom panels.

spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2009 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
eclipse,mbquart,re audio,jl audio,memphis.
Those are my favorites,I dont think you can get the sound your looking for ,for around 1000 bucks but you can definitely make a huge improvement. check these brands out and tell me what you think.
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
jimi77 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2009 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 98 Cherokee.  You can pretty much forget about SQ in them - the dash/seating position just really destroys any chance to create a good sound stage regardless of the time and money you invest. 

Nevertheless, here's the stuff I've done in an attempt to make lemonade from lemons. 

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/182031

As far speakers go, I think the Alpine Type-X refs and Type-X pros are pretty good speaks for the money.  The Pioneer PRS is also a great value.  Those three are up there with the high end stuff but don't carry the same price tag.   If you like metal tweeters, then Focal would be my first choice.  Boston makes a decent metal dome too, but I think the Focals are clearly better. 

Amps:  I like Alpine, Clarion and Cadence - I'm not a big believer in dumping money into highend amps as amps have little to no impact on sound quality.

Subs:  Shiva-X, anything from ID or Dayton.  I think you're best off sticking to a sealed enclosure in the Cherokee.  The cargo area isn't that big and it really doesn't take a lot to fill the cabin with bass. 

HU:  The Alpine 9887 is good value and offers a decent amount of tweaking capability, which you'll probably want/need. 

Wiring: Anybody other than Monster Cable.  Seriously, I usually use the cheaper stuff from Partsexpress.  AR or Dayton for RCA cables.  Radio Shack NXG cables are pretty nice too.  Go with sheilded wiring. 

Good luck with project, just don't expect spectular results because the Cherokee's interior just doesn't lend itself to creating a good sound stage.   

You talking to me???
P9 Combo
ID CD1-Pros
Focal Utopia Midbass
10" Brahma
Clarion APX amps
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2009 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
Not an Audiophile prude but I do not agree with this statement:
... as amps have little to no impact on sound quality.
jimi77 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  

audiocableguy wrote:
Not an Audiophile prude but I do not agree with this statement:
... as amps have little to no impact on sound quality.

I've been at this for ~20 years and I haven't noticed a difference.  As RC would say watts is watts....  Some amps have a slightly better noise floor, but unless you're competiting that gets drowned out by music and/or road noise pretty quickly.  Some amps are poorly designed and/or QC sucks so they can (easily) induct noise (ie Pyramid, Legacy, et al), so we want to avoid those.  Some amps are prone to failure (Hifonic Monoblocks), so stay away from those.   

OTOH, I highly doubt anybody can truly tell the difference between a $0.25/watt Cadence amp and a $3/watt Brax amp in an blind A/B test with music.  I'm running some high end Clarion "Arc Clones" and a pretty nice MTX Thunder 275 from MTX's glory days and I can't say any of those amps sound better than cheapie Clarion that I run.  As a matter of fact that cheapie Clarion powers the front stage for the better sounding of my 2 systems.   

You talking to me???
P9 Combo
ID CD1-Pros
Focal Utopia Midbass
10" Brahma
Clarion APX amps
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
My personal opinion? There are two issues fighting you on this install...
1: The Jeep won't give you ANYTHING for soundstage, especially if you want to stick with this stock locations.
2: Your 1000 dollar budget doesn't allow you very much in the way of high quality amplification, once you buy REALLY good speakers.
An additional point, if you are asking for opinions... There's nothing out there in any box kit, at any decent price point that will give you good SQ in ANY car. Off-the-shelf "solutions", are really compromises, at best. Either bright and thin, or whumpy and furry, with few exceptions to that statement... I do like the JL C5's...
For REAL sound quality, you'll buy dedicated drivers, and bi- or tri- amp your system, with high-quality active crossovers. I *DO* realize this is far more effort than most people want to go to, but going this way WILL end you with far better SQ than you'll likely be able to buy in a box, with far better flexibility, AND it'll easier fit in your budget...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
Around the bend at 30 years for me and I can tell the difference between different amps. No it's not always the most expensive that sound the best either. I have done more than a few blind comparisons for Studios, Sound Reinforcement and Car Audio. Some differences are slight some night and day. There are differences. No I'm not talking flea market to an Audison H-100.
A SR project I just worked on based a $250,000 purchase on an A/B shootout between amps. Features aside it came down to audio signature.
20 other professionals heard the difference.
riverratxj 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
My personal opinion? There are two issues fighting you on this install...
1: The Jeep won't give you ANYTHING for soundstage, especially if you want to stick with this stock locations.
2: Your 1000 dollar budget doesn't allow you very much in the way of high quality amplification, once you buy REALLY good speakers.
An additional point, if you are asking for opinions... There's nothing out there in any box kit, at any decent price point that will give you good SQ in ANY car. Off-the-shelf "solutions", are really compromises, at best. Either bright and thin, or whumpy and furry, with few exceptions to that statement... I do like the JL C5's...
For REAL sound quality, you'll buy dedicated drivers, and bi- or tri- amp your system, with high-quality active crossovers. I *DO* realize this is far more effort than most people want to go to, but going this way WILL end you with far better SQ than you'll likely be able to buy in a box, with far better flexibility, AND it'll easier fit in your budget...

1)  I understand this, thats why I would like some opinions on driver location.  If there is a better configuration, im all ears.  I already stated that im not afraid to do custom pods.

2)  I also understand that the budget is a little low.  But, I made this post to hear people's opinions on high quality drivers more than anything really.  So, think around $1000 for just drivers, and maybe a head unit.

"Off- the-shelf solutions, are really comprimises at best"  <------- So, there really isnt a componet set out there that you would recommend?  I would like to keep from having to buy seperate crossovers.  And, I do plan on atleast bi-amping this setup.  Maybe a nice 2channel for F/R and of course a mono for the sub(s).

So, what it comes back to is. what is your favorite drivers.  HIghs, mid-bass, and subs.  And if at all possible, what componet sets do you like.  But dont forget, im not scared to make some custom pods to put these drivers in the best possible position.  Thanks again everyone.

jimi77 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think you need to a custom front stage with active crossovers, etc.  As a matter of fact I did that and to be honest the return on investment is pretty hard justify in the Cherokee.  The comp sets I listed are all pretty good and won't have to take a second mortgage to afford them.  Ultimately, IMHO dumping alot of money into great audio equipment to put in a crappy environment isn't really worthwhile unless you have unlimited funds, have to have the best of the best, etc.  Keep in mind you're fighting the law of diminishing returns; ie you'll hear a big difference between a $150 set of comps and $300 set of comps, but jump from $300 comps to $600 comps and you'll barely notice the difference.    
You talking to me???
P9 Combo
ID CD1-Pros
Focal Utopia Midbass
10" Brahma
Clarion APX amps
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic