icon

140 db is it possible?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i_want_the_boom 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2009 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

I want to know if it is possible to get over 140db with 2 jl13w7 pushed by 2000wattts rms? it will be in a 2002 chevy suburban. I know there are alot of factors that can determine this like what kind of box there in and prolly alot other things. I just want to know if 2 13w7 can hit 140 or close to it. If so how would you go about doing that?

If the trunk dont rattle then its not loud.
If it's to loud then you're to old.
i_want_the_boom 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2009 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I did a search on hear and seen that 140 is pretty loud, and I dont think I want it to be that loud as a daily driver. More like 100 to 115db would be more what im looking for. what size box would i need to get the best spl from these speakers? I really dont want to push more than 1000watts apeice for these speakers as i do not wish to damage them. how could I maximize out put from these speakers?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2009 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

Two 13W7's in 5 cuft (141 liters) tuned to about 46Hz and driven by 2KW should hit about 132 dbSPL according to a quick Unibox model.

Support the12volt.com
i_want_the_boom 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2009 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks dyohn thats what I was looking for. Is that sealed or ported? and is that a single chamber box or dual chamber? If I tunned the box lower say about 30-35hz how much would that affect the results. thanks for the help.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2009 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  

i_want_the_boom wrote:
Thanks dyohn thats what I was looking for. Is that sealed or ported? and is that a single chamber box or dual chamber? If I tunned the box lower say about 30-35hz how much would that affect the results. thanks for the help.

Sorry, vented single chamber.  Tuning lower will drop the peak SPL (but be more musical)

Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2009 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
i think 140db is very possible with those W7's.  140 is not that loud and nobody said anything about it having to be all the way up all the time. i keep my 18 turned way down for daily driving but if somebody wants to have their ears destroyed real quick then i turn it up.
paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
You should be able to get over 140 pretty easy if you will truly have 2000watts rms.  I saw a single 13w7 hit 149 on the dash with two jl1000.1's in an explorer.  Gonna need a HO alt, and at least one really good battery to create that kinda power though. 
i_want_the_boom 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
I was actually going to put 2 jl13w7 and 2 jl 1000.1 with an upgraded ho alt wasnt sure if i was going to need a extra battery or not, havent decided which interior speakers yet but they will most likely be jl.
paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  

Probably won't need a second battery, although wouldn't hurt anything as long as you have a good alt.  Just make sure you upgrade your stock batt.  Kinetic, Optima Redtop, Exide Orbital, etc.  Stay away from the deep cycles for a starting batt, you'll burn em up quick.

You should be in the 140's with ease.  Even with a box designed for music.  Tuned lower like dyohn mentioned above.   I'm guessing the design program he used doesn't account for cabin gain, which should be significant in an suv

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
140db with 2 13W7's with the correct amount of power for them is completly possible, even in a daily tuned box.
I would start with something in the 6cuft range with a large slot port with subs firing up and port back at the tailgate. keep the port at least 12 inches off the tailgate.
Just worked on a single 12" L5 in a slot port enclosure powered by a kenwood 900 watt amp (clamped 880)   and it was capable of 145.1db on a tone and 143.3 on music PEAK
All measurments on a Term-Lab USB, tones via USACI 2009 disk, music was Put on, cant remember who does that song.
That was a 2.5cu ft net enclosure tuned to 32hz.   peak resonant frequency of the vehicle was 56hz on the meter
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic