icon

amp powering

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
-grimm- 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  
I just have a few questions about my install, mainly how i should set up my second power system.
The Known Gear:
Two 15" Kicker L5's in a custom fiberglass box (made by me)
Kicker ZX1500.1 Amp (1500W RMS to the subs when I wire them)
Unknown amp to power Four 6x9's.
Rated at ~500W RMS x2 at 2 ohms.
1/0 Wire (already installed), approximately 12 feet alternator (position) to battery.
Unknown Gear:
Battery(s)
Alternator
Engine space is limited, and I wanted to know what amperage rating I should look for in a second (dedicated to stereo) alternator?
Also, what setup should i go with for a second battery system?
I was looking into a single Kinetik 800 (36 AH, 800 Amp) battery with a 60 amp mini alternator, but got to reading around here about wiring two 12V batteries parallel, or two 6V in series.
What would be the best battery configuration for this? and what amperage alternator would be needed to charge it/support the draw?
Thanks
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  
Honestly, You best bet would be to ditch the main alt in favor of something with a larger output then your factory.   The ZX1500 will draw upwards of 100 amps without a problem when wired at 2 ohm.
Always go with the biggest alt you can afford, as it will leave you room on the table to upgrade later, but with your current setup you are looking at 200+ amps for just your stereo during peaks, and then you need to run your car as well.
Look into reputible companies like Mechman, Powermaster, Irragi alt, High Output Alts.
Those companies will sell a product that does its rated output, and it will be a direct bolt in for your vehicle.
As far as batteries, if you spend good money on the alt, you could get by with a cheaper battery. I have honestly gotten by using a large group 31 size bettery that is a super start/walmart/oriley brand batt with a high amp alt, as I dont run my stereo with the car off, and it only gets a drain while the vehicle is running. As long as your have room, and are locating the batt in the trunk this would be a feesable option.
Make sure if you mount your primary or any batt in the trunk, you fuse the wire up in the front of the vehicle before passing through any firewall, or 12 inches from alt/front batt. If the battery is a wet cell, make sure it is in a battery box and vented in some sort of way outside of the vehicle.
Hope this helps!
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
-grimm- 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
Wow i didnt imagine the draw on the amp would be that high. I knew it was up there, but thats huge.
My car alternator is upgraded to 90 amp, but im planning on running the sub system on its complete seperate circuit.
Guess im in the market for a second high output alternator and some way of making space in my already cramped engine compartment.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic