Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smokinn 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 3:13 AM / IP Logged  
i am starting a retro fitting of led tail lights for my car
need to ask one question ..
How to make the led's dual way ( i mean when the parking is on it will glow dim and as soon as brake is hit it glows on full brightness)
like the same in this pic
regarding the led in tail lights -- posted image.
I would be thnakful to you for helping me out
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 3:46 AM / IP Logged  
Wire the top array as parking lights and the bottom array as brake lights.
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
smokinn 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged  
thank you but i am not interested in those ,i need the same led to be dim and bright when brake pedal is hit
there's a system for the same which i want to know
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  

How many LEDs are you going to be using?  How are you currently planning on hooking them all up?

LEDs brightness are usually controlled in one of two ways - current limiting or pulse width modulation (PWM).

An ideal setup would run at 5vdc as to not be effected by battery fluctuations and would use PWM to control the intensity based on the parking light and brake light signals.  You can do it with current limiting but it will take some trial and error to get everything working perfect.  The "best" way to use current limiting would be to spec out a resistor for parking lights and a smaller resistor for brake lights.  Then, set the brake light signal up to interupt the parking light when it is active (so you don't have the added current of the parking lights going to the LEDs). 

Kevin Pierson
smokinn 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
will use approxinmately 40 led (RED) in one light ,havent decided the design will try for the passat style type
dont you thin 5vdc is too low
we found the resistor which hellps decreasing the current flow to the led's (put three ) the dimmer got to 60% of the full
it was working perfectly on the inverter but as soon as i put it on car socket it does not work at all
kindly shed some light on pulse width modulator and how it works and how the wiring would be ?
KPierson 
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  

No, 5vdc isn't too low at all, most LEDs are rated from 2 - 3.6vdc.  You just need to make sure your current and voltage supplies are designed correctly to achive optimal performance.

PWM involves sending pulsed voltage to the LEDs instead of contant voltage.  I recently did an LED dimming project that used a 1Khz pulse width.  The pulse is a square wave and can be adjusted from 0% (all off) to 100% (all on).  The cool thing about PWM is you set the system to work at full brightness and your intensity is then linear throughout the pulse width % (as opposed to the non linear results you will get from adjusting current). 

PWM will require a processor (or a controller) to use so it is a bit more involved.

Kevin Pierson
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  

Use 15 for parking and 25 for brake lights.

Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
KPierson 
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
You should also research the legal requirements (DOT standards) for brake lights.  I believe there are requirements for exactly how bright the brake lights need to be.  The last thing you want is to modify your brake lights and then cause an accident and have a lawsuit on your hands.  You may even need DOT approval to run custom brake lights on the street, but I'm not sure about that.
Kevin Pierson
smokinn 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2009 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  
@k Pierson: thanks for the info
for the DOT approved thing it's not issue here in indiaregarding the led in tail lights -- posted image.
can you provide me PWM details and links for the same and wiring details
KPierson 
Posted: August 20, 2009 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  

Do a google search for PWM you'll find lots of stuff.

All the PWM stuff I have done I have used a microcontroller.  Most microcontrollers will have the PWM hardware/software already integrated in to them so it is only a few lines of code and some interupts to make it work.

Kevin Pierson
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic