icon

jl audio amp low voltage

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gsbartender 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
OK ..   I have a 95 civic 2 dr ex with two Jl audio amps.. one is a mono block which is pushing a jw audio w3 12 and the other a jl audio 300/2 pushing my infinity components. The mono block is fine but on the 300/2 watt amp the low voltage light is on.   what does this mean? and can this damage my amp or speakers?? I can take pictures to show if needed.. speakers sound great the amp feels pretty hot compared to the mono block as well.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
It is normal for the 2 channel amp to run hotter than it's class D counterpart.  Have you used a meter to see if the voltage is low at the amp?  Red meter lead to the screw that tightens the power wire connection.  Black lead to the screw that tightens the ground connection.  Check this with the amp playing at moderate level.
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
gsbartender 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
ok ill give it a try.. any type of volt meter I need to get or just a cheap from radio shack? jl audio amp low voltage - Last Post -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
Any volt meter will work.  Before you check the voltage at the amp, check it at the battery just so you will have a reference.
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
gsbartender 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
I just put a new battery in it yesterday. The old one had a bad cell. So the input volt on the amp should be the same as the battery output?? I have have a splitter set up.. tsnumai red that splits to two 8 gauges I think if I remember correctly one going to each amp
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
Without the meter, there is really no way to see if the voltage is low.  There could be a bad connection between the distribution block and the amp, or you could have a bad connection on the ground wire.
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
Reference Kirchoff's law here
A law stating stating that the voltage supplied to a DC circuit must equal the sum of the voltage drops within the circuit.
You are probably experiencing a voltage drop somewhere between your ground/power path. A poor crimp connection, a poor distribution block connection could be the issue of any of these. Therefore it will not get the full 12.6volts.
gsbartender 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2009 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
Im thinking it may be the ground connection.. It may have come lose causing it to have the low light ill check it tomorrow.. thanks guys.. keep a look out tomorrow because im a noob to wiring

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic