icon

'97 tahoe, avistart 4200 second ignition

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
reggiestewart 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2009 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  

I installed an Avistart 4200 on my friend's Tahoe a while back. I used tools from this forum to do so, and everything seemed to be good. He noticed that the "check engine" light was coming on and the trans would not shift right when he used the remote start. I did a search and found that it was likely that I did not hook up the second ignition wire correctly.....luckily his transmission didn't explode.

Now, I have checked, and I have the pink/white "second ignition/accessory" wire on the relay pack connected to the white "second ignition" wire in the vehicle's ignition harness. I went and re-read the instructions for the Avistart 4200, which stated that the default setting for the pink/white wire was accessory vs. 2nd ignition. This made perfect sense to me, so I looked up the proper programming sequence in the manual, and programmed the system to run the pink/white wire as second ignition (option 2-9, LED ON setting). I also reprogrammed option 2-4 so that the parking lights would stay all on vs. blink. The parking light reprogram worked, so I know I'm manipulating the configuration correctly, but I still get a "check engine" light and no voltage to the second ignition when the remote start is used. I have since tried a second time to program option 2-9 to the "LED on" setting, and I still get the same results. 

Now what? Can I just jumper into the 1st ignition wire (solid pink) to run both of the vehicle's ignition circuits in remote start mode?

Please advise.

Thank you!!

chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,428
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2009 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
do you have power at all your heavy red wires going to you remote start module ?
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
reggiestewart 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2009 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  

As I thought about it more, I dont think I would want to use the first ignition wire from the relay to power both ignition circuits on the vehicle, as this would cause these to circuits to be joined permanently in the vehicle's wiring.  So it looks like I HAVE to have a second 12v switched ignition wire for this to work properly. I have tried reprograming the pink/white wire with BOTH settings just to confirm that the manual didn't have a mis-print. I NEVER can get 12v from the pink/white wire during remote start (or any time for that matter).

Please tell me I've mswired something upstream! I want to think the unit is defective, but it is a refurbed replacement for an Avistart 3200 that had a bad door lock circuit (it also took 90+ days for DEI to get the replacement system out to me.....)

reggiestewart 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2009 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
chev104275 wrote:
do you have power at all your heavy red wires going to you remote start module ?
Yes and no. I have constant 12V at both solid red wires. I have not hooked up the third RED / white high current 12v wire (manual says this is for "additional current capacity"). I did however jumper 12v constant to this wire to see if it would make a difference, but still no power to the pink/white 2nd ignition wire during remote start.
Thanks!
reggiestewart 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2009 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
chev104275 wrote:
Well, you got me curious, so I tried jumpering 12v constant to that third high current wire (again). Voila, I now get 12v to the pink/white wire when I use the remote start!! I'm not sure what happened the first time I tried this, but it works now and that is what matters.
Thank you so much!!
Reggie
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,428
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
your welcome     glad its fixed
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic