the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

new car, new system, power, no sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2009 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
Then either your amps are bad or you have too low an impedance load on them - or there is a shorted speaker or speaker wire on both of them.  Or maybe your system voltage is too low and they are shutting off on low voltage (it needs to be above 10VDC usually.)  It's unusual that two amps would have the same problem which leads me to think it's an installation error or system voltage is too low.  You may need to get help from a local pro.
Support the12volt.com
tenchu 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2009 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
System voltage as in voltage from the battery?
Maybe thats it. I have a capacitor also, the digital kind, it reads 7.0-8.0.. Is that the voltage?? Maybe thats the issue, if so, what is it I need, a new battery? I am hoping to get this done myself as I was supposed to leave today, and no shops are open till tomorrow
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2009 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

tenchu wrote:
System voltage as in voltage from the battery?
Maybe thats it. I have a capacitor also, the digital kind, it reads 7.0-8.0.. Is that the voltage?? Maybe thats the issue, if so, what is it I need, a new battery? I am hoping to get this done myself as I was supposed to leave today, and no shops are open till tomorrow

Yes, that's the voltage.  Can you start the car?

Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Posted: August 23, 2009 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
I have to take off... if your battery voltage is that low the amps will stay off.  If you run the car and they still don't work, there is something else going on.  Good luck and drive safely!
Support the12volt.com
tenchu 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2009 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
Well I just bought a new battery. Still the same thing. And the cap still reads 8.0
wth?! What could be wrong??
I have a 4 gauge wire ran from the positive terminal of the battery,
less than a foot away is a 4 gauge in-line fuse,
then 4 gauge ran all the way to the capacitor,
4 gauge from the capacitor to the distribution block,
8 gauge ran from the distro block to each amp.
8 gauge ran from each amp to ground.
remote wire ran from head unit to amps
rca ran from front speaker output on hu to front speaker amp, plugged into ch1 ch2 inputs
rca ran from subwoofer output on hu to subwoofer amp, on L/R inputs
speaker wire ran from sub amp to terminals on enclosure
speaker wire ran from enclosure to sub
sub wired in 2 ohm arangement as layed out by the12volt's info
speaker wire ran from speaker amp to front door speakers
harness adaptor plugged into oem harness
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2009 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
What is the voltage at the amplifiers? Don't rely on the cap's read-out. Use a VOM, and check it directly. Also, post the voltage of the remote lead, please.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
custombass 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2009 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
Try eliminating your cap. If you are using only one cap for two amps, that can lead to voltage drop. The first amp in line with the cap is probably the one that has the power light illuminated. The second amp simply isn't getting enough power. Good luck!
tenchu 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2009 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry about the late reply. Ended up going out and getting loved up like the economy last night, lol. So I decided to mess with the car more, I removed the capacitor i had and wired the 4 gauge power wire directly into the distro block after trying what i thought was everything else.. Now the speakers work!!!
BUT, I still cannot get the sub to work. NOW the sub amp power light IS on, the protect light is NOT on. Sub out is set ON in the hu settings. I tried re-arranging the speaker wires on the amp channels and still nothing.
Any ideas now??
Thanks again for all your help!
custombass 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2009 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
You are not getting enough power to your amps. My opinion is to make sure your alternator is capable of producing enough amperage to supply your hungry amps. I would also replace the 4 gauge wire with 0 gauge. Use 4 instead of 8 from your block to your amps. Good luck!!
tenchu 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2009 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
Well figured out the sub thing. Somewhat.
Everything works now, YAY!
But, I have a mono block amp. It lists what power it makes at 2ohms but wont work when i wire the sub in 2 ohm?
To make sure i'm doing it right, I had one + wire going to one voice coil's + terminal, and one - wire going to the OPPOSITE voice coils - terminal. The other two terminals empty?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic