icon

toyota matrix bypass problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ryoder 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2009 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
I recently installed a Compustar remote start with Fortin Key-Override-All interface in a 2005 Matrix XR, manual trans. The system worked well for a while, but quit starting the car. The problem appears to be in the security bypass, given that the starter works fine when the key is in the ignition. I then replaced the Fortin module with a new one, but this did not correct the problem. I re-wired all connections (twice), but still no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 23, 2009 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm, that's strange. If it worked well at least for a while, it would seem logical that you wired it up correctly.
What response do you get when trying to program the new (or even the old?) module? What does the LED on the module do?
Has anything interesting happened with the car, such as the car's owner having new keys made, or any electrical repairs or upgrades?
ryoder 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
The bypass module responded normally and was programmed easily, but the car was not able to remote start. I am thinking that the problem could be the output from the compustar to the bypass unit (?) If so, is it possible to "hardwire" the bypass unit to ground, given that the pulse from the compustar to the bypass unit is negative? Will this cause any problems other than the lack of ignition immobilization? I am not concerned about the lack of security, as this is my work car and is parked in a secure garage both at home and at work.
ryoder 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
Oh, and to answer your question--no, no changes have been made to the car's electrical system or key configuration.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
Hmm, I don't know, but I think you'll have to do some testing to figure out what's wrong.
If you were to just try to rewire the Fortin piece to be on all the time, I think that would give two problems (besides lack of security): possible battery drain, and also when you start the car with the regular key, the car will "see" two keys at once, which may or may not allow it to start.
So, you should have the following connections, if I'm not mistaken:
Constant
Ground
Ground-when-running from remote starter
Keysense
RX and TX data wires
If the module isn't bad, one of those connections above must be. You'll have to do some testing to figure out what's wrong.
I would say to start by dissasembling whatever you need to, and since it's a manual, maybe you want to unscrew the driver's door pin so you can trigger it with a jumper wire to get the car into reservation mode......but do this carefully! You wouldn't want to knock the car into gear and have it take off.
Anyway, it should just be a matter of activating the remote starter and test each wire that goes into the Fortin module.
That's why I was asking what the LED on the module is doing during remote start.
If the LED does whatever it's supposed to do (come on steady? flash? I really don't remember), your constant, ground, and GWR are probably good. Maybe it's the data wires.
On the other hand, if the LED doesn't come on, the module's not getting turned on for some reason.
P.S. That Fortin module should be coming on a little bit BEFORE the remote starter, not just at the same time. If they come on at exactly the same time, it'll probably work most of the time but maybe not always.
I'm not familiar with Compustar, but what output are you using to go into the blue GWR wire on the Fortin piece? You want an output that makes a ground the very moment you start to activate the remote starter.
P.P.S. Are you by chance using the D2D cable that comes with the Fortin piece instead? Many of us have had trouble with those.
If you're using it that way, it might be a good idea to rewire it wire-to-wire, getting your own constant and ground for the unit instead of using that little plug from the Compustar.
ryoder 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the suggestions--I will try this as soon as I get a chance, and will post the results.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic