icon

4 ohm dvc into 4 ohm load?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
livinloud247 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2009 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
Can a single 4 ohm dvc subwoofer be wired to a 2-channel amp (bridged) to get a 4 ohm load? If so can you please describe, or post a link or picture on how to wire that?
Thanks.
livinloud247 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2009 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
So far the only thing I've seen is "independent wiring" where you wire each channel to each voice coil? But Idk what that will do for me ohm-load wise?
And I've also figured if you just bridge the amp to one voice coil on the sub it'll be just like a single voice coil sub? Correct me if I'm wrong? But perhaps that's bad?
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2009 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  

I am no audio expert but from reading from the more knowledgeable members of this site here's what i can tell you! Yes you can wire that dvc 4ohm speaker to a bridged amp at a 4ohm load, doing just as you said using one of the coils, it isn't a bad thing and is perfectly safe, you just have to keep in mind that you would only be using one of the coils which means you wouldn't be able to drive the speaker at it's full rms power, you would have to halve this input when you adjust your gains. The lost difference of the second voice coil is only 3db which is said to not be noticed by the human ear.

I personally have installed a few small audio systems and used only one voice coil of dual voice coil subs, and have never had a problem! Cheers! Maybe the other senior members can explain it in more detail for you!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 24, 2009 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  

You have 3 choices with the equipment you already have.  They are as follows:  1 as mentioned earlier, using one voice coil of the woofer is perfectly acceptable.  If the speaker has a power handling of 500 watts, 250 per coil.  Using only one coil it will handle between 350 and 400 watts, depends on who's formula you use.  Option 2 is to connect one coil to one channel of the amp and the other coil to the other channel of the amp.  This will have the amp running at 4 ohms per channel.  You should be able to find a spec for that load in the manual of your amp.  Option 3 is to bridge the amp, wiring the voice coils in series, for an 8 ohm mono load.  The power output will be identical to the 4 ohm per channel load.

Option 2 (series) = 8 ohm load
Voice coils wired in series
Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 4, 2, or 1 ohm mono
4 ohm dvc into 4 ohm load? -- posted image.

Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
livinloud247 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2009 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
Will the 8 ohm load trick the amplifier into pushing the bridged @ 4 ohms output?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2009 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  

livinloud247 wrote:
Will the 8 ohm load trick the amplifier into pushing the bridged @ 4 ohms output?

No, but bridging a stereo amplifier into an 8-ohm load causes it to operate at the 4-ohm per channel rating since both channels are "sharing" the total load.  Wiring one voice coil to each channel does the same thing.

Support the12volt.com
livinloud247 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2009 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
Well won't wiring one voice coil to each channel be like wiring 2 4 ohm svc subs to the amp? Giving each sub the 2 ohm load (or in my case each voice coil the 2 ohm load)? That'll push 250 rms to each coil @ 2 ohms.
Or is it still 4 ohm load to each coil?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 25, 2009 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
It will still be a 4 ohm load on each channel of your amp.  Either way, if you series the coils and bridge the amp into the 8 ohm load, the amp will see a 4 ohm per channel load.    If you wire one coil to each channel, the amp will see once again a 4 ohm per channel load. 
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2009 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
GUYS, GUYS, GUYS!!! We've been over this quite a few times! I can't believe that people forget so quickly!
To the OP: An 8-ohm load, connected to your bridged amplifier will present an equivalent 4-ohm load per channel. It will also give you EXACTLY the same output in SPL as bridging the two channels into a single 4-ohm voice coil. It will give the same output with better damping, lower distortion, 3dB of additional headroom, and improved amplifier efficiency... Also, with the reduced peak power output, and the increased peak power handling of using both coils, you even further protect your woofer from overpowering. You are also using all of the copper you paid for!
Wire the coils in series, and bridge the amplifier.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
remarkable53 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2009 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  

i don't recommend only wiring one voice coil of a dual voice coil woofer.  Yes it won't effect the mechanical operation of the woofer, true enough but it certainly will effect it's operation because the theil and small parameters have changed resulting in decreased output.

remarkable53
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic