icon

hifonics vs crunch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
livinloud247 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
I'm looking at 2 amplifiers to push the Power Acoustik STW-12 shallow mount. Supposedly it bottoms out when you push more than 350 rms to the woofer, but that's just what I've heard... So I'm looking at 2 amps. Both are 2 channels and I've been reading reviews on them, but I want to know what others think.
First is the Hifonics TXi-6008, 2-channel amp. I've seen some reviews on it running warm... But perhaps that's from bridging? I'm planning on running one 4 ohm dvc sub per channel.
The other is the Crunch GPV 700.2, 2-channel amp. Not sure if how good Crunch is... I've heard you're safe with them as long as you go with the Ground Pounder models, which is what that is.
OR if I'm daring I may go ahead and go with the Crunch GPV 1000.2 and see how the subs handle the 500 rms a piece (which is what they're rated at).
livinloud247 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2009 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Anything? Crunch good?
jimi77 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2009 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
I don't care for either company.  I'd look at Clarion, Cadence, Alpine and Planet Audio for affordable amps. 
You talking to me???
P9 Combo
ID CD1-Pros
Focal Utopia Midbass
10" Brahma
Clarion APX amps
livinloud247 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2009 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, well the main guy at Crutchfield whenever I post there basically ground and pounds for the Hifonics brand amps. But I'll take a look at those.
ianedward1 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2009 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
Crunch and Hifonics ( though both once very highly respected companies ) are now both owned by the company Maxxsonicx, along with Autotek and MB Quart. As far as their amps go, the only ones that really have a good reputation from either of those two are their extremely large ones ( Crunch GroundPounderPro 3000.1, Hifonics Maxximus, etc ). I would say that along the lower end the Hifonics are probably a better choice. Yes the GroundPounder series is better than the regular Crunch amps, but they recently released a new line called GPV which I would avoid personally.
Head Unit - Pioneer P80MP
Sub - 1 10" Soundstream T-5
Amps - 1 Kicker KX400.1, 1 Legacy crap 2 channel
Door Speakers - Audiobahn 600V Components
Box - Custom by Southern Sound in Statesboro, GA
jimi77 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2009 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  

I'm a "regular" over at CAF and the Hifonics (mainly Brutus series) are always going into protect and won't come out. 

Alpine, Clarion and Cadence are all pretty competitively priced without the concerns about reliability.

You talking to me???
P9 Combo
ID CD1-Pros
Focal Utopia Midbass
10" Brahma
Clarion APX amps

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic