icon

how batteries discharge

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rfhvhtoo 
Copper - Posts: 238
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2009 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
How can I figure out about what the Average capacity draw will be on my second battery? My amps all together can pull 330amps of current. Im looking at this stinger battery and its mentioning how if I use an average of 400 cycles then Ill get appr. 100% of its lifespan and if i use 4000 cycles ill get about 10% of its life span. this is obviously understandable. But How do I know about how many cycles I will use? or is that just in how long and how roughly you play your radio?
Thanks
I can't hear you!
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 26, 2009 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
I'll be over here (off to the side) waiting to see who/how this is answered......
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2009 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
I'd love to answer it, but I have no idea what he's talking about...
Where did this 400 cycles @ 100% stuff come from? I've NEVER in my life heard of this specification...
ANY lead acid battery will have a shortened live by allowing it to be deeply discharged, even a "deep cycle" battery. It's what happens to the technology. If you allow your battery to be discharged to around 10.5V loaded, (considered a full discharge for a standard, flat-plate, 12V SLA battery) you are already reducing the life of the battery by approximately 50%. ALL lead acid batteries like to be trickle charged, and will last FAR longer if they are. Even a standard alternator, re-charging a battery is hard on it - it's too much current.
Read this information, and maybe you will have a better idea of what's happening and may even be able to answer your question for yourself.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 27, 2009 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  

According to what I am reading here, they are calling a cycle, a discharge down to 10;5 volts.  What I think they mean by that is, the battery will go from charged to 10.5 volts 350 times before the battery is toast.  But that is just my interpretation of the following specs of one of their batteries.  Gary, Gary, Why You Watching us from there?

SPV35

• Internal resistance: <6 mOhms
  • 5 Second Cranking: 525 Amps
  • Weight: 27.56 lbs
  • Constant Discharge Capacity at 77 degrees to 10.50 Volts:
  • 20 hour rate: 1.75A/35Ah
  • 5 hour rate: 5.95A/29.75Ah
  • 1/2 hour rate: 43.75A/21.9Ah
  • CCA: 438 Amps
  • Temperature Range: -15 to +50 C
  • Typical Cycle Life: 350 cycles @ 100% depth of discharge (10.5v)
  • Maximum Charging Voltage: 15 Volts (Cyclic Use) 13.8 Volts (Standby Use)
  • (Add 5/8” to height for battery post)
    STINGER SPV35
    Dry Cell Battery Fots Honda & Acura 423 CCA
  • Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
    jeffchilcott 
    Platinum - Posts: 2,483
    Platinum spacespace
    Posted: August 27, 2009 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
    Where are you trying to fit this battery?    If you are in a hond civic with the firwall mounted battery, you can remove the battery tray and fit any top post style group 34 battery.
    IE the kinetik 1800 or similar.
    2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
    2007 USACI World Champion
    2007 World Record
    2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
    rfhvhtoo 
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: August 27, 2009 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
    400 Cycle @ 100% NEVER showed up in MY post. So im not completely sure where that one came from but like I am an idiot said The specs on the stinger battery says if i use on average 400 Cycles that I will recieve 100% of the batteries life which is about 4 years.
    Here's the URL http://www.darvex.com/SP680/Stinger+680+Dry+Cell+Battery.html
    I'm looking at it for my Audio system in my truck to put behind my back seat. And now it has me wondering how batteries discharge.
    Right now I'm thinking that a Cycle is a discharge down to 10.5 volts from somethin like A Serious bass note? and i take it down that far to 10.5v often then the battery like will be cut very short. But if i am able to keep the electrical system up to around 12v (Even with serious bass note) then the battery should last much longer? So it pretty much depends on how consistently level I can maintain a high voltage even while playing my radio at any level.
    Please correct me^^^
    I can't hear you!
    i am an idiot 
    Posted: August 27, 2009 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  

Jeff I do not think he is trying to fit in a Civic, that just happened to be the first Stinger battery I found that particular spec on.

• Typical Cycle Life: 350 cycles @ 100% depth of discharge (10.5v)   =  This battery is expected to survive 350 cycles @ 100% depth of discharge.
  • Depth of Discharge = voltage drops to and stays at 10.5 volts or below.
  • This means that the battery is expected to give you around 350 times of charging and then draining to 10.5
  • Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
    rfhvhtoo 
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: August 27, 2009 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah im only trying to use it as a Audio battery.

Is 350 Cycles anygood?

WHat is the Main number I Should be looking for when trying to decide on these audio AGM batteries for durability and quality?

Thanks for the help guys

I can't hear you!
    i am an idiot 
    Posted: August 27, 2009 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
    Are you planning to play your system without the vehicle running?  Are you planning on ever totally discharging your battery?  You know, down to 10.5 or below?  If you are not planning on doing either, I really do not think this spec applies to you. 
    Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
    rfhvhtoo 
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: August 27, 2009 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

Because I was thinking of when you said a cycle being a discharge down to 10.5volts by the audio dragging the voltage down and that equalling a cycle (with car running). and that this wouldnt be too great of a battery with 350 cycles unless im able to keep the current up to 12 or so volts.

But you're NOT talking about a Bass note that could drive the voltage to 10.5volts, you're talking about actually having the battery discharged to 10.5volts by using it without having the alt to charge back up (car turned off).

Alright I think i have a better understanding of it now. Not completely figured out but definately more knowledgable then before. Thanks alot. Like you said i dont really need to be worried about the cycles then. because i wont be playing it with my car off.

I can't hear you!
    Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic