icon

grounding, cap

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
imupabove 
Copper - Posts: 369
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2009 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
should i ground my mono amp to my cap or ground it to the chassis of my car? which option would be best?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2009 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
It generally won't matter... I personally ground to the cap, because it's fewer physical connections in the current path between the cap and the amplifier.
*IF* a cap can do anything truly helpful in any system, then ELECTRICALLY you want as few physical connections between the current source (the cap) and the current sink (the amp) as is possible.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2009 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
is using a voltage meter necessary? i grounded my amp to he amp i think it sounds a "little louder". not sure though.
would it be a good idea to get a distribution power block so i can connect my 4 channel's power wire directly to the block instead of being connected to the cap? because right now im using 8 gauge wiring for both amps (mono amp & 4 channel amp), and they are both twisted inside the cap. and i can upgrade a 4 gauge power wire from my mono amp to the cap. good idea or what? thanks.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 29, 2009 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
If it were me, i would ground each device with the shorted possible wire.  Ground the cap as close to the cap as you can, and ground the amp as close to the ground input terminal as you can.
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2009 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
how short are we talking here?
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 30, 2009 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  

How short can you make them?  

imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2009 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
they are about 1-2 feet.
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 30, 2009 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  

let;s try this again.  I asked how short you could make them.  You told me how long they were.  So if I ask you how long are they, are you going to tell me how short you could make them?

One foot is not bad, 2 feet is only half as good as 1 foot..  But the shorter the better.  Length = resistance   Resistance = voltage drop.  Voltae drop = less power

imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2009 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
sorry misread that part. ill see if i can make them shorter some how.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic