head unit connection advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
muffinman4 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2009 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
Hi All
Recently bought an X reg ford focus that had a Sony MDX-C5970R Mini Disc player fitted. I've tried to change for a Panasonic CQ-C1475N CD player but when I took the Minidisc player out I found that the standard wiring connection I was expecting had been removed and the Sony connector hard wired in. Just wanting to know if anyone has any suggestions on the best thing to do in order to get the Panasonic connected. Photo of the back of both units below in case you need to see the difference in connection.
head unit connection advice -- posted image.
Thanks in advance for any help.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2009 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
I'm assuming both are aftermarkt units, if so, most likely the colour of the wires on both harnesses should be almost identical, can you confirm this?
JW.ORG.
COMMIT YOUR WAY TO JEHOVAH AND HE WILL ACT IN YOUR BEHALF.
PSALMS 37:5
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2009 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
Another option would to install a factory side harness plug, and then you will have a plug back on the factory harness...also buy the harness for the deck to conect to this harness.
Metra does sell both sides of the harness on many cars, anymore when I have a car im working on that has cut or damaged wiring in the dash, I either require a harness be put back, or I will not guarntee anything installed related to the faulty wiring.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2009 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
Cut the sony harness half way down...Then match color-to-color...Leaves room on sony harness to reuse...! How is the sony harness connected...crimp caps ...butt connectors...? On the harder side ...it might be better to eliminate the sony harness all together...To avoid a connection issue...So instead of 13-15 connections ...now there are 26-30 connections...and more of a chance of a bad connection...! Also as stated you could buy a reverse harness...then a wiring harness...Get everything back to normal...! Also...Whats the year,make,model...And ill give you a cheat sheet to look at...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
muffinman4 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2009 at 4:21 AM / IP Logged  
Massive thanks to everyone for their help - I sorted this in the end by getting my hands on the manual for both head units and cross-referencing all the connectins one by one! Cut the Sony connector off and connected the wires to the Panasonic connector, soldered and taped. All works perfectly - even the phone kit still works! =O Thanks again to everyone who posted! :)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic