icon

crimping tools

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dadtruck 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2009 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  

Will be doing some major re-wiring on a old Dodge truck,,been reading the postings here on wire connections, crimp, solder..very helpful

quick question on crimping tools,, I agree that I probabily need to upgrade my crimping tool from the X-Mart special that I now have. Been looking, I have seen crimping tools that would be an upgrade from what I have from $59.00 to over 200.00

This one is a bit over 100.00,, looks to do the gauge wire that I will be woring with on this automotive project.

is this appropriate for an occasional do it  yourselfer,,would like something less expensive, any recommendations? thanks

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://images.cableorganizer.com/cable-tie-tool-Quest/crimp-tool.jpg&imgrefurl=http://cableorganizer.com/crimp-tool/&h=334&w=450&sz=28&tbnid=0Kny2xF_ov2Q8M:&tbnh=94&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcrimping%2Btools&hl=en&usg=__P3G1BtW5S9sWVGSWKxwZCW9FMH0=&ei=8xOfSsezIIisMO3QpOwP&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=5&ct=image

DadTruck
dadtruck 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2009 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
laynlower 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2009 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 03, 2009 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

I, personally, think that a $100 crimper is overkill.

Find a name brand crimper (not multipurpose tool) and it should work.  I like the Klein crimpers, but I'm sure the Channellock ones are comprable.  The main thing to look for is a crimping die on the opposite side of the fulcrum from the crimp handle.  

Kevin Pierson
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2009 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
 I agree w/ pierson...Channellock or Klien and you'll be fine...(poet and didnt even know'it) ...On the devils advocate side...If your planning on crimping a bunch of wires in a short period...Then the ratchet crimpers might be great for you...When i first started off in the industry...I was the guy that made all the sub box wires...Fresh out of school...And...I sat on a work bench making box wires...ouch...Some days my hands hurt soooo bad...I have never used the ratchet crimpers...But they could probably save your hand some hurt'in...but if it is just a crimp here and there...Or your that guy w/ the tool box that everything is in its place...Then go for it...In my line of work...It would defitnely drive off in a car...!! $120 for some crimpers...??? Next investment ...strippers...lol
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
dadtruck 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2009 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  

thanks

good info, yep,, really did not want to spend 100.00 for a set of occasional use crimpers, but I would if that ment getting it done once and getting it done right,, I'll look for the two less pricy sets mentioned and make a decision from there.

DadTruck
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2009 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  

Klein is a very good brand, except take their US price and at least double over here, as for the snap-On price here?

Is Facom available in the US?  They make a superb blue colour  ratchet crimping tool that goes out at about £40 ($60) here, it doesn't take much pressure to operate it which is great news for people like me with RSI. Yes I know that Facom is French but after the US, France, Germany and the UK also have a good rep for hand tools. (Funny except for 2 of the facom tools everything else is Snap or MAC) Hell I even import 33+ tape!

ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2009 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
Klein!
This is what I do for FUN!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic