icon

the ported box concept

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
diverdown269 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2009 at 5:26 AM / IP Logged  

I am still confused about the idea of the port/slot in a ported box.

Take this box for example...   https://img62.imageshack.us/i/175cubes32hz26sqin2rg.png/

Assuming the wood is 3/4 inch, the port opening would be 2.25"x11.5" with a length of 24.625" am I reading this right ?

It looks like the bigger the port opening is, the longer the "tunnel", or length needs to be to get a certian Mh

I assume that I can build a ported box with any size port opening (within reason), as long as i make the length long enough to equal the Mh it needs.

Any help on this idea would be greatly appreciated.

Some fear the Abyss... Other, chase it into the DEPTHS !!!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 03, 2009 at 5:56 AM / IP Logged  
The port is 34.625 long.   Switch to Tylenol.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2009 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, you can make a port opening any size you want and adjust the length to create the proper tuning frequency for the volume of the enclosure.  But there are significant design criteria and performance issues you must understand when designing an enclosure.  Do you understand what the port is doing and how it works?
Support the12volt.com
diverdown269 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2009 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Do you understand what the port is doing and how it works?

Not really...  I'm gussing if the sub is rated for 20-50mh, you would make the port to fit into that range. As far as exacvtly what it is doing and why, I don't have a clue

icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2009 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
I'm gussing if the sub is rated for 20-50mh, you would make the port to fit into that range.

[/QUOTE]
wth is mh? i think he meant Hz. Anyways...I think you should really consider hiring a professional... it wont cost more than 100 bucks to have it professionally built to specs.
deeg money 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2009 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

No dont hire a pro to do it. Try it yourself and see if you can do it. Then after you spend a ton of time and money trying to get it right and fail ask a knowledgeable friend to help out. Thats what I always do... lol or better yet. consult your new friends at the12volt.

BTW Icearrow your last quote is awesome!

Deeg money
"If you cant be good, be good at it"
diverdown269 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2009 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
Wow ice and degg, not all of us were born knowing everything. Some of us have to learn
deeg money 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2009 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
haha talk about learning.... go check out my post. Im learning how to build a fiberglass dash right now. All the help I am getting is from this site. I also have other forum posts on here of other things I have built. Trust me, I have spent many hours and thousands of dollars learning from the school of hardknocks. I was being serious in my post too. I always try it myself and if I cant get it I ask a friend or someone on here how to do. You will see that Biggi and I have had many convo's about glassing. I think trial and error is the best way to learn man!! just dive into it!
Deeg money
"If you cant be good, be good at it"
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2009 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
Everything takes time to learn....
I meant to recommend thinking that this was your "only" time wanting to make a box to specs. If its a "career" choice than by all means attempt away.
Fabricating a custom box can literally make or break a sub! I've heard no-name speaker in a proper enclosure blow away some Orion HCCAs in a prefab box.
So again if you are here to learn, then ask away.... if its just a one time project, I suggest u spend the extra cash and pay a pro.
BTW, I have actually had customers asked what is in my signature. LOL.
Also the occasional:
"My friend TOLD me he bought this from you, and it stopped working can I get warranty?"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic