icon

electric folding mirrors, alarm, 98 impreza

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
riz k 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2009 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
hi i have 1998 subaru impreza with a clifford 3.3x installed, my car has electric folding mirrors what i wanted to do was connect the mirrors up to the alarm so they fold when i arm and unfold when i disarm. The mirrors need the ignition to acc and constant power to fold and unfold and dont work off a pulse is there any way i can make a circuit for this to work.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2009 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  

To fold the mirrors, you have to know what the switch is doing, in otherwords fold the mirrors with a meter at the back of the switch. You will probably find that 1 wire goes to ground whilst another goes live while the switch is pushed, reverse those wires for the other direction, so you need one relay as an  interrupt circuit, drive off one of your aux outlets set to timed on arming.  On disarm power a 508d with an acc feed  set for the number of secs it takes to open the mirrors, then they will automatically open on starting the car, but you have to work out what the switch is doing.

riz k 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2009 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
ill test the wires mate would you be able to do a rough diagram for me to wire this up
riz k 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2009 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
right on my alarm i have an auxillary harness which has two wires one of them gives out a negative output when armed and the other gives out a negative output when disarmed is there any way i can use these wires to fold the mirrors in and out?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2009 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  

No point til you tell me about the switch.

riz k 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2009 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
right tested the switch and your right mate the 1 wire does go to ground and vice versa
riz k 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2009 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
it may be easier to make a circuit so the mirrors fold in and out with the ignition this would work with my remote start to
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2009 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  

You would need to wire an aux from the alarm setting it to activate for about 5 seconds timed (or however long it takes the mirrors to fold in + 1 sec.) Find the wire that goes pos at the switch on folding the mirrors, cut it,  now take that wire and cut it. join the switch side to 87a on a relay, join the  mirrors side to 30 your aux wire to 85, join a constant 12v+ fused at 10amps to 87 and and 86. That takes care of the fold in. To fold out 2 methods. 1) Set up another aux wire, timed for the same time to activate on disarm,  use the wire from the mirror switch and wire up to another relay in exactly the same way. 2) Take a feed from the ignition circuit, use a 508d and cut the blue loop. Take the ignition wire to BLACK/ white on 508d, yellow  and red on 508d to same fuse as before (iether way only one fuse is needed) cut the wire that goes live on fold out, switch side to orange on 508d and mirrors side to brown. job done.

To close the mirrors on ignition shutdown you would need a second 508d, wired as before except don't cut the blue loop wire this time and sustitute the fold in + wire for the fold out as above. Set the timer pot on the 508d again for what you worked out originally.

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2009 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  

How'd you work out that 508d method howard?

I did mirror folds a couple times, the ones i'm accustomed to are reversing polarity, i use five relays in total, i extend the pulse on the lock and unlock wires to 3.5 seconds (DEI) and trigger the relays with this, the fifth relay separates the constant feed to the relays with an igntion source, to prevent the mirrors from folding in with the ignition controlled door lock!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2009 at 3:44 AM / IP Logged  
Oh bother, had a rotten day yesterday, now repeat 100 times 528t timer relay not 508d dual zone prox, thanks t&t for actually reading my post.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic