icon

amps shut off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
absolutepower 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2009 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
i have a customer with a rsx and two kicker comp single voice coil 8 ohm subs now this is running of of a kenwood dnx 514 and a alpine v12 bridgable 4 chan. every time customer turns up volume subs cut out. it seems like a protect mode but i cant figure out y it does this. i even swapped the amp for a 300.2 momo amp same thing. im using 4 awg wiring and my ground and 12 are solid. what could cause this to happen. help mutch appreciated
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 03, 2009 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
Have you used a volt meter to make sure the amp is getting adequate supply voltage?   You must be playing the amp at the level just below it cutting out.  Also ground the black meter lead to the ground terminal of the amp.  Do not hold the ground lead of the meter to the chassis of the car.
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2009 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
i agree with what i am an idiot said, also i have installed some systems where more then one amp on the remote wire was to much and caused the larger amp to shut off and turn back on. one thing to try if all your voltages and other connections are good is take a relay and put it inline with the remote wire going to your sub amp.  have your 86 terminal as your remote from the deck.  terminal 85 to ground.  terminal 30 to the remote input on the amp, and terminal 87 from a constant 12 volt source.  it's just an idea and a way i was able to fix a couple problems in the past. if it works don't forget to put a fuse from the 12 volt to the relay.
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
absolutepower 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2009 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
i have tested it they r both farley small amps and im using 4 awg. the ground is solid every thing has metered over 12 thats y i dont get y its happening on 2 diffrent amps
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 05, 2009 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
Were the amps playing loud when you checked the voltage?
absolutepower 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
yes i test at hi volume with multimeter amp shut off voltage didnt change
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
Could be many things, including gain set too high, a defective speaker voice coil, shorted speaker wire, grounded speaker wire, tinsel lead grounding to speaker frame...  Try the speakers one at a time...
Support the12volt.com
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
+1 With dyohn.  I'd turn my attention to the subs as well, since it's happenned with two amps and all your power and ground wires are good...
...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic