icon

wiring 2 subs differently in the same box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thorblizz 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2009 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys I just subscribed today and I have a question. I have two Alpine Type R 1042D subs running on a PDX 1.1000 amp. Is it safe to wire the subs differently when they're in the same box. I have one of them wired parallel and one ran independent and it sounds great and the amp doesn't shut off like it obviously would do if I had both subs ran in parallel form. One of the subs hits harder than the other one obviously and it looks wrong as hell but it sounds great and I can turn it up as loud as I want. Any advice would be great. Thanks
qdt855 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2009 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not exactly sure, but I believe that if your amp can handle the overall ohm load and you arent overworking the sub that's receiving more power it should be fine technically speaking, even though it may go against some theories of wiring.
AeolianDominate
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 05, 2009 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
saying one is wired in parallel and one is wired independent makes ZERO sense.
Custom Enclosure Design
thorblizz 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2009 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
Ok let me be more specific. I admit I was lazy in my explanation and I'm really not sure what you would call this type of wiring I just stumbled upon it when I was messing around with it. Here is the exact set up. I have the two Type R 1042D subs in one box running to 1 Alpine PDX 1.1000 amp. Each sub is wired parallel at the voice coils. The back of the box is as follows: the right negative has two wires, one running to the negative on the amp and one running to the negative on the left terminal. The right positive is empty. The left negative has, as i said before, one wire which is running to the right negative terminal. The left positive has one wire running to the positive on the amp. The left sub is hitting harder than the right but both still run and hit hard. The two hit harder like I have it now than when I wired the back of the box in a series but not as hard as when I had it all wired in parallel( which didn't last long cause the amp would go into protect because of the 1 ohm load.) What is happening here???
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2009 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
wiring 2 subs differently in the same box -- posted image.
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 06, 2009 at 4:28 AM / IP Logged  
If I had an Alpine PDX 1.1000, I don't think that i would be trying to stumble across some new wiring technology by messing around with it.
thorblizz 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2009 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
Ok guys does anyone know what's happening or are you just criticizing me because you don't know. If I'm doing something wrong, then I would like to know how to correct it. That's why I'm asking. I came across this when I was disconnecting the wires I used in the parallel wiring and when I removed one of them it was still playing. It sounded better than it ever did and nothing bad is happening. So if anyone knows what's going on here, please enlighten me. If I need to change anything please let me know.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 06, 2009 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  

Option 2 (series/parallel) = 4 ohm load
Voice coils wired in series, speakers wired in parallel
Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 4, 2, or 1 ohm mono

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2009 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  

thorblizz, people are criticizing you because it is completely unclear what you are doing.  If one sub is "hitting" harder than the other then it is wired at a lower impedance and receiving more power.  There is nothing magical about that, but it is an incorrect setup if you want the most benefit from having two woofers.  Here is how you should wire your two 4-ohm DVC woofers to the Alpine amp:

Support the12volt.com
thorblizz 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2009 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
OK guys thanks for the advice. I know it sounds wrong but its sounds better than all the other wiring methods that I've tried. Will I damage anything by keeping it like this? Also, I'm not sure how I would calculate the impedance of this setup. Will the PDX 1.1000 run on an impedance between 1 and 2 ohms? Thanks for the time fellas.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic