icon

wiring 2 subs differently in the same box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thorblizz 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
So just put the positive where the negative is a the negative where the positive is at the voice coils? Not sure I get that part. lol I'm sry dude. I feel like an idiot. I just want to get it RIGHT. I don't have much listening time before I go to boot camp.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  

Yes put the positive wire where the negative wire was and vice versa.  Do this only on one woofer. 

thorblizz 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
ok will do. I'll have to try it tomorrow. I'll post my findings in the morning. Is there anything else it might be that I could try if that doesn't work?
i am an idiot 
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
You could try connecting each voice coil by itself to make sure all 4 of them are in working order.
thorblizz 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
Good deal. Can't thank you enough.
thorblizz 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
Ok I hooked up each voice coil and they're all good. I reversed the positive and the negative on one of the woofers and it didnt play as loud so I wired it like i had it before. I tried each sub by itself and each one was equally as loud as the other. If I ran each sub from it's own terminal and combined the wires into one of the quick connect plugs, would that be the same as running them parallel? I only have one of the plugs so that would be the only option. By the way, where could I purchase n new qucik connect plug?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

wrote:
If I ran each sub from it's own terminal and combined the wires into one of the quick connect plugs, would that be the same as running them parallel?

Yes, if same-polarity wires are connected at any point it is parallel wiring.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
i am an idiot 
Posted: September 10, 2009 at 2:59 AM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

Yes put the positive wire where the negative wire was and vice versa.  Do this only on one woofer. 

I noticed that you said you reversed the wires on the wooferS.  Did you miss the part about only one woofer?

I think I remember that you have a box with 2 chambers and 2 sets of terminals.  Let's change this up and wire one woofer to it's corresponding terminals.  Wire each woofer as shown in the following diagram.  All of this picture is inside your box.  After you wire the woofers this way, play each woofer by itself to make sure it is playing, if they each play, we are now going to wire the speakers in series.  You will need to follow these instructions precisely.  Disconnect all wires that run between the amp and box.  Connect a single wire from one of the positive terminals of the amp and connect the other end of that wire to the left positive terminal of the box.  Now connect another single wire from one of the amp's negative terminals to the right negative terminal of the box.  Now you ahould have 2 wires between the amp and the box.  One from a positive amp terminal to the left positive connection on the box.  The other from a negative terminal of the amp to the right negative terminal of the box.  If this is correct, proceed.  You will now have 2 empty connections on your speaker box, the left negative and the right positive terminals.  Take another single wire and connect these 2 terminals together.  THE ABOVE CONNECTION IS ON YOUR SPEAKER BOX.  Do NOT connect the unused terminals of the amp together. 

Let's recap before you turn the amp on.  There shouid be one wire from one of the positive terminals of the amp to the left positive wire of the box.  Then there should be a wire connecting the left negative terminal of the box to the right positive terminal of the box.   Then there should be a wire going from the right negative terminal of the box to one of the negative terminals of the amp.  There should be 2 unused terminals on the amp.  If this is not the case, stop and do not turn the amp on.

Wire each woofer as follows and connect it to the terminals on that side of the box.

Left Woofer

Option 2 (series) = 8 ohm load
Voice coils wired in series
Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 4, 2, or 1 ohm mono

wiring 2 subs differently in the same box - Page 5 -- posted image.

Right Woofer

Option 2 (series) = 8 ohm load
Voice coils wired in series
Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 4, 2, or 1 ohm mono

i am an idiot 
Posted: September 10, 2009 at 3:38 AM / IP Logged  
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2009 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:

What a guy...What a guy...!

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic