Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
toledo5189 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
tune to whatever you want
That was pretty much the reason of my post, to understand more about tuning. I don't know what the difference between 33hz and 40hz is. Obviously ones a lower frequency but by tuning a box to that what is it doing? If a box is tuned at 33hz is that where the sub will perform best in that box?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  

toledo5189 wrote:
aznboi3644 wrote:
tune to whatever you want
That was pretty much the reason of my post, to understand more about tuning. I don't know what the difference between 33hz and 40hz is. Obviously ones a lower frequency but by tuning a box to that what is it doing? If a box is tuned at 33hz is that where the sub will perform best in that box?

You have to model the specific speaker you want to use in order to see.  Download Win ISD or Unibox.

Support the12volt.com
laynlower 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  

The tune frequancy of the port is where the box/system will have a 3db spike and roll off sharply on both sides. the air inside the port will start to vibrate and increase the output of the system. a ported box will require a lot more power to run because you do not have the suspension of a sealed box therefor you need better control over the voicecoil.

live to scrape
scrape to live
LOWLIFE CUSTOMS
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
laynlower wrote:

The tune frequancy of the port is where the box/system will have a 3db spike and roll off sharply on both sides. the air inside the port will start to vibrate and increase the output of the system. a ported box will require a lot more power to run because you do not have the suspension of a sealed box therefor you need better control over the voicecoil.

huh?  No, a vented system has higher efficiency than a sealed one and does not roll off sharply on "both sides" of the tuning frequency... and there is no such thing as "control over the voice coil."  Vented systems do not require "a lot more power to run."  Indeed, a sealed system will consume more power for the same dbSPL output.

Support the12volt.com
toledo5189 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
Ok well I tried Win ISD and entered in what I could. There where a couple things that confused me and wasn't sure what to enter. But from what I entered it say my PEAK SPL would be around 185 @38hz. That seems way off but I guess I am just going to go ahead and tune to 33.
laynlower 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
for the same spl yes. but you can run a smaller amp on a sealed box with better results than a ported box. the ported system will always be louder but you need to have control over the woofer. a small amp say 100 watts might not be as clean sounding as a big amp. (not as much control) when the woofer needs to change direction.
live to scrape
scrape to live
LOWLIFE CUSTOMS
toledo5189 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
Yea I already have a monoblock amp pushing 1200 watts rms to the sub. I was pushing two 12s before but I got rid of one and I'm not changing the amp, its a nice amp. I just have one last questions before I start cutting my pieces out. Well too long of a total port length kill a box? The one is have measured out will have a total port length of 35.5"
laynlower 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
it might not kill the box but it will change the tune of the port.
live to scrape
scrape to live
LOWLIFE CUSTOMS
toledo5189 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
laynlower wrote:
it might not kill the box but it will change the tune of the port.
Ok well i guess I well give this build a try...2.36 cu. ft. tuned to 33.6hz
DYohn 
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

laynlower wrote:
for the same spl yes. but you can run a smaller amp on a sealed box with better results than a ported box. the ported system will always be louder but you need to have control over the woofer. a small amp say 100 watts might not be as clean sounding as a big amp. (not as much control) when the woofer needs to change direction.

Nope, sorry, that's just wrong.  The size of the amp has nothing to do with the "control of the woofer."  I assume you're talking about damping factor?  While many people (including myself) feel this particular specification is not very important to the way a system sounds, it is very much misunderstood.  A vented system will always be more efficient than a selad (acoustic suspension, not IB) system using the same woofer.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic