icon

battery wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spike131113 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2009 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
Right now i have my stock battery going to a distribution block, and my second battery sitting back by my amps, grounded out and also leading to the distribution block, which than breaks down to 2 eight gauge wires which goes to my amplifiers...today i had someone tell me the stock battery should lead to the aftermarket battery which than should lead to the distrib. block only using one wire...which setup is correct? and is my setup now charging that second battery?
Brandon Pieniozek
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2009 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
The way you described, your batteries are in parallel, Although you do want to use the least amount of wire as possible, The way you have it hooked up is fine. The more wire used = More resistance = less power. If your satisfied with the way it is now, its fine.. Jus somethin you might wanna look more into when you start to upgrade your system.
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
spike131113 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2009 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
alright thanks, so my second battery is still getting a charge from the alternator ?
Brandon Pieniozek
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2009 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  
Before I answer that question, ask YOURSELF this one: does my system continue to function? If you think about it that way, then you can answer the question yourself.
...but otherwise, yes. You're fine.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 15, 2009 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  

As long as both batteries are fused within 18" of the battery then I don't see a problem with your setup.

It actually may be more efficient, as you technically have used less wire then if you ran from one battery to the 2nd battery then to a distribution block.

Again though, whenever talking about adding batteries or power wires make sure you are fusing them properly otherwise you run the risk of fire.

Kevin Pierson

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic