icon

Mach 460 Wiring Diagram

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2003 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  

Does anyone know which wires do what running to the amplifiers in the back of the 1995 Mustang Cobra Mach 460 amps? I am hoping to remove these amps from this car and install them in a 2000 Ford F-350, but there are plugs into the amps, not screw terminals like aftermarket amps. I am planning to cut and splice the wires into wires running to speakers in the truck, but I dont know what wires do what. any help would be appreciated

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2003 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

Just a warning beforehand---putting the mach amps in another vehicle is going to be a whole BUNCH of work.  First of all, the rear amplifiers only power the woofers for the speakers in the mach system.  All the highs come from the amplifier that's mounted underneath the factory head unit, behind the dash.  Secondly, I don't even know if the amplifiers will output full range sound.  I don't remember if they are crossed over from the head unit or if that takes place within the amp.  And finally, the output that goes to each of the amplifiers is a low-level signal, but depending on what kind of system is already in the F350, you might only have a high-level signal to feed to the amps.  In this case you'd need a line driver or level control to bring that down to a low-level that the mach 460 amps can properly use.  This would also mean cutting the RCA plugs off the line driver and splicing the RCA wires to the corresponding inputs for the amp.

Anyways, here's a pretty good site with a lot of mach 460 information.  They have wiring diagrams too, if you still really want to do this.  Just out of curiosity, what kind of system is in the F350 right now?  Is it just the plain old stock radio?

Oh yea one more thing I thought of:  I think the turn-on voltage for the mach amps is less than the typical 12 volts used for aftermarket components.  I don't remember the exact number but this can obviously be determined pretty easily using a DMM hooked up to the turn-on output of the mach 460 head unit.  If the voltage is something less than, say, 9 volts, I would try to get a hold of a voltage reduction adapter in order to prevent damage to the mach 460 amp.

greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 5:29 AM / IP Logged  

there is already an aftermarket Pioneer head unit with one set of RCA outputs on the back.

it would be ok if the amps were alredy crossed over because they will be used to drive two small subs, one off each amp

esmith69 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  

Your only problem is gonna be that you'll have to cut off the plugs on one end of an RCA cable, and then splice these wires in to the factory amp's corresponding input wires. Only thing is since you'll be using two amps you might want to use an RCA splitter first, to split the signal.

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
Those amps are high level input. Can you just splice an RCA cable into them even though the headunit is putting out a low level signal through the RCA's? I know they make LOC's to go from High to Low, but is that all it's doing is giving you a connection point, or is there really something else going on to change the signal as well?
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
esmith69 
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
You'd need a line driver to boost the signal level up to a higher level.  Really what you need is an amplifier if you think about what an amplifier doesMach 460 Wiring Diagram -- posted image..  But a properly designed line driver will work too.  That particular unit is a david navone model and it has RCA connections for the inputs and outputs.  Instead of cutting off the plugs that are part of this product, you would be better off finding an RCA cable lying around somewhere, and cut the ends off one of those cables, then plug the other end into the line driver.  This way you don't permanently mess up the line driver.
wvsquirrel 
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
I thought something was missing Mach 460 Wiring Diagram -- posted image. Thanks for the answer
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2003 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
arent there 2 wires inside a RCA cable? i think there are and if so, which one do you hook up once you cut the ends off?
wvsquirrel 
Posted: April 01, 2003 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
The wire going to the center post is the positive. The wire going to the outer ring is the negative.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic