the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

new gear

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
custombass 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2009 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
I have been thinking about getting 2 12' FI Btl's fully loaded with a Rockford Fosgate T4001bd. I am wanting to hit around 160db's in my 2004 Dodge SRT-4. I can fit the subs in the trunk, but I am not afraid to ditch the back seat and wall off 2 15's. My question is, will it be possible to achieve my goal with the 12's, or should I get the 15's? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason
custombass 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2009 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry for the typo, the amp is a Rockford Fosgate T4000.1bd
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  
A old friend of mine claims that he did with 2-JL12w7's and the Zapco cube in a accord. All I know is that he has many spl trophies, and thats the most insane system I ever heard.   He said it was all about the box................ Wear earplugs.
This is what I do for FUN!
custombass 
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
Defiantly going to build my own enclosure! Thats the only way to go.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
No. The chances of you hitting 160dB with two drivers of ANY size (yes... even the Fi drivers)and one amplifier, are close to slim and none.
They are rated 90dB efficient. Follow me through the doublings, here:
2W = 93
4W = 96
8W = 99
16W = 102
32W = 105
64W = 108
128W = 111
256W = 114
512W = 117
1024W = 120
2048W = 123
Add 6dB for two drivers, and you end up with somewhere around 130dB continuous. Now, I know the Fis are EXCEPTIONALLY capable drivers, and will handle FAR more power than they are rated, but even with cabin gain, you aren't going to hit 160dB continuous, and even with burps, you'll be stretching the possibilites with a single amplifier. Not to mention the fact that the RF of today is almost as bad as ANY of the flea-market amp manufacturers when it comes to realistic, CONTINUOUS output powers.
Ask our SPL master... Jeff? How many drivers do you have in your CRX? Six? With a kW to EACH? And it does, what... A little better than 160 on BURPS? And the amps are powered by 16V, right? And didn't you actually take your box apart at the seams last year?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
Ask our SPL master... Jeff? How many drivers do you have in your CRX? Six? With a kW to EACH? And it does, what... A little better than 160 on BURPS? And the amps are powered by 16V, right? And didn't you actually take your box apart at the seams last year?
To do a 160+ on a real meter (termlab) I had 6 10's and 4 amps in my 88 crx.   i was able to get the box to hold together after alot of work, and there was roughly 1800watts per sub of clamped power.
My current setup in a Trunk vehicle (98 civic coupe) does 154+ and currently hold both of the USACI trunk records at 153 and 154db levels.   I am using 2 subs, but I have no where near the idea of doing 160+ in a trunk vehicle period.
this is all with setups that would rip apart if you attempted to play music, multiple batteries, high output alt, and lots of time and money all for a 3 second tone.
If thats what your really looking for I will have more time to help and make suggestins after world finals in 2 weeks.
I believe 156-157 is capable on a 2 sub setup in a trunk car with enough power (4000-5000 per woofer)
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
also depending on where you are in missouri I would gladly help out if your looking to do some serious competition next year....looking for someone to pick up where I leave off this year
im back out for at least another 1-2 years in the SPL lanes
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
custombass 
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your input haemphyst. The FI Btl's are EXCEPTIONAL drivers. Even if I can't achieve my goal this route, I still think I can twist some heads with two 15's walled and maybe an additional amplifier. Since your opinion of the RF amps are low, I look to your insight on an amp or amps to use. Your views and opinions are greatly appreciated, and I will take them into consideration. Although I have made up my mind as far as the drivers go. Like I said, if my back seat has to go, that would make the possibilities of even larger subs or more subs that much easier. I wouldn't mind to loose it as I never use it.
   thanks
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
Use the Fi's. AWESOME drivers, and decent SQ, as well. Amps: Since using the PDX amps, I can recommend them thoroughly. For the $2800 you were looking to spend on the RF would be MORE than the price of four PDX1.1000's, and if you were to go with DVC 2 ohm drivers, you'd be able to run 4kW+ all day to those two woofers. (My 1.1000 birthsheeted at 1176WRMS) One amp to each voice coil. RMS rating of the woofers, amps are 2 ohm stable... All set.
Zapco would be another VERY respectable choice, and either the Alpine or the Zapco would give you far better SQ (not that it's going to be REALLY noticeable in your application) than the RF. A Zapco C2K6.0X (1200WRMS bridged at 2-ohms) on each of those woofers... Whoa, dude... I have no idea of the price of the Zapco gear; I do know it's fantastic gear. A C2K9.0X for both drivers would be another awesome choice. That one's 2200WRMS bridged into 2-ohms.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
custombass 
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the great advice. I will keep you posted on this build.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic