door locks, 1993 toyota camry

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
imupabove 
Copper - Posts: 369
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
vehicle: 1993 toyota camry
my driver's door wont unlock, its jammed. this is how i open my driver's door side: insert the key into the key hole i turn the key clockwise with my right hand and pull the door handle with my left. and when i twist the key the door lock does not move ( i sort of got to "jimmy" it). & this is how i get out of my driver's side: i pull the door lock to the left with my thumb and i pull the door handle with my right (inside the car). the door lock switch works only if i have the key in the ignition (turned to ON); but they do work when i take out the key out from the ignition for a few minutes. also when ever i try to roll up my driver's window, i have to pull up hard to make roll it up.
my friend tested out the switches (power window switches) with a electric light meter, they tested good. he said i might need to replace the Actuator on the driver's side. i found a metal piece in the the door. i think its from the Actuator. its been a pain opening my door and getting out of my car. i know this is a lot to read but please bare with you. im open to any questions and troubleshooting. thank you for your time.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
It's probably the linkage from the handle to the lock itself. If you remove the trim panel, reconnect the door switch panel for locks and windows, then throw the catch on the door, move the switch to lock and unlock, that will tell you if the actuator's working, if so, it's the handle linkage.
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
what is the trim panel? that is the metal part/frame right? because i think that is the only way to get through where the actuator's location.
and what do you you mean by "throw the catch on the door"?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
Door panel is the inner trim, removing it will allow you to watch the action. Latching is the object on the meeting edge of the door lock. Some cars won't lock, mainly European cars as a safety measure, though I don't think it applies to yours.
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  
oh you meant "latch".
so right when i remove the inner trim i will be able to see the problem? something came loose? i didnt have time to do it today and it dark right now. i will troubleshoot tomorrow. thanks.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic